I made the leap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

navy1990

New User
Matt
I got a bit of extra money back from my GI Bill last week and asked SWMBO if I could get a new tool. When she asked what I wanted to get, I mumbled jokingly, "A lathe." Much to my surprise, she said ok. The only restrictions were that I had to keep the price of the lathe and the tools to a relatively small amount.

I did some research and found a lathe in my price range with tools included. I went to the Penn State Industries website and ordered the Turncrafter Commander 10" mini-lathe (I plan on making alot of pens and smaller items) with the necessary tools, all in one easy package.

I haven't stumbled into the dark side, I have gone running straight into the darkness. I am looking forward to using the spinny thing to make cool objects for friends and family (and some to sell). I am going to strive to reach even a little of the skill of some of you guys on here, even if it takes me many many years to get there.

Pictures will follow when the package arrives and also after I complete my first projects. I have plenty of inspiration from this site, now I just need to put in the perspiration to get them done.

Matt in Jacksonville

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Aw, come on - you should at least post a link to the lathe. :rolf:
(EDIT - or is it this one? Same lathe without some extras, but you'll get them sooner or later...)

Congrats! I think that is a sibling (same casting, stronger motor) to my Rockler Excelsior (I have a Penn State bed extension, so I am sure they are the same casting). I have been very pleased.

Prepare to start slipping and sliding. Does your wife think you are done with the purchase? :rotflm:

navy1990

New User
Matt
I don't think she knows what she is in for. I have so many things I want to get to go along with the lathe.

CarvedTones

Andy
I don't think she knows what she is in for. I have so many things I want to get to go along with the lathe.

A couple of quick tips for you - don't get the cheap bowl chuck with tommy bars to tighten. Spring for one that uses a geared chuck key. I have one with the tommy bars and it works but not as well. It would have been another $40 or so well spent. Don't feel you need to rush into that; learn about using the face plate. It really isn't that much trouble if you only turn a bowl every now and then.

But start with spindle stuff. I think the best first project is making mushroom from green branches between centers. A catch will just stop the wood.

Hopefully you have another turner nearby. A half hour with someone can save you days of frustration.

navy1990

New User
Matt
Andy,

Thanks for all of the tips. I will have to find someone close to me that I can spend some time with to learn the basics. I understand that there is a woodturning group down in Wilmington, which is only about 45 minutes from me. I will have to check their website and see when they are getting together next.

I will have to look into the chuck with the geared chuck key. I want things to go smoothly and if that will help, I want one.

Guess I will have to tell SWMBO that I need another tool.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
I planned on doing nothing but pens and small items too. Now I have a full size lathe and more tools than I know what to do with. It's a slippery, slippery slope enjoy the ride.

navy1990

New User
Matt
Nate,

From seeing all the woodturning posts on this site, I know it's a slippery slope. I just had to put my skis on and head down the hill. I'm looking forward to the ride.:gar-Bi

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Anchors and bombs away Matt..... There is no turning back I frankly I doubt you will want to. Good Luck with the new [STRIKE]toys[/STRIKE] tools.

navy1990

New User
Matt
The wait is killing me. UPS scanned out the lathe for delivery at 6 this morning. He still hasn't gotten here. I'm ready to make some spinny things.:kamahlitu

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The wait is killing me. UPS scanned out the lathe for delivery at 6 this morning. He still hasn't gotten here. I'm ready to make some spinny things.:kamahlitu

Man that's to bad they scanned it already, guess it's too late to stop your order. Just think you could have bought a big sander or something for flatwork. Now you got this spinny machine coming and there is no stopping it. :tongue2:

Did you at least forewarn the wife that she won't be seeing much of you anymore? You'll be standing many a hour with a wood beater in your hand staring at a chunk of wood spinning like 100 MPH and trying to figure out what to do with.

CarvedTones

Andy
Man that's to bad they scanned it already, guess it's too late to stop your order. Just think you could have bought a big sander or something for flatwork. Now you got this spinny machine coming and there is no stopping it. :tongue2:

Did you at least forewarn the wife that she won't be seeing much of you anymore? You'll be standing many a hour with a wood beater in your hand staring at a chunk of wood spinning like 100 MPH and trying to figure out what to do with.

Protesteth too much he does. Think that I do... :rolf:

navy1990

New User
Matt
The lathe turned up at about 8:00 last night (Friday). I plan on spending the day today making spinny things and just testing it out. SWMBO allowed me to spend a bit of money to get some extra supplies to help my process. I got a pen press, a centering vise for drilling the blanks, and rolls of sandpaper (150-600 grit). Now I just have to wait on those to get here too. But that won't stop me from spinning wood.

navy1990

New User
Matt
Well, I am officially hooked on turning. :icon_cheers I turned 3 pens and practiced on a spindle to just get the hang of things. My first pen turned out a little too thick, so it went to my daughter. My second pen was messed up when I put the ink holder in too far. My third one came out much better, so I gave it to SWMBO as a thank-you for "letting" me get a lathe. I know this site runs on pics, so I will try to post a pic of a pen/pencil set tomorrow.

Ken Hensley

New User
Ken
I'm right right down the road from you and do as much turning as time allows (mostly bowls lately) and wouldnt mind getting together with a fellow turner. Should be back from Afghanistan before to long :icon_cheersand I have to pour the concrete floor in my new shop before I can set my tools back up but you are welcome anytime.

Ken

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Congrats!, I am finding out the hard way that lathe accessories are freakin expensive just to get the basics for sharpening and doing a bowl.

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
The basics dont really have to be all that expensive.
I use nothing but Øland tools and 1 parting tool, and my turnings are all turned on homemade face plates, and a chuck with cole jaws (which I wouldnt need if I made a longworth chuck).

But I am still learning.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Well, I am officially hooked on turning. :icon_cheers I turned 3 pens and practiced on a spindle to just get the hang of things. My first pen turned out a little too thick, so it went to my daughter. My second pen was messed up when I put the ink holder in too far. My third one came out much better, so I gave it to SWMBO as a thank-you for "letting" me get a lathe. I know this site runs on pics, so I will try to post a pic of a pen/pencil set tomorrow.

Matt,

I am not too far from you (maybe 25 miles or so) if you want to come over some time. I can show you how to salvage that pen that you pushed the pen transmission in too far. Or to discuss turning. I have a few home made turning tools that are easy to make and can save you some money over store bought ones.

BTW, I was the one that PM'ed you about the turning club in Wilmington.

navy1990

New User
Matt
Ken,

I think it would be cool to hang out with another turner. Keep safe over there and come back home safe. I've just started turning and so far, I have only made pens. I'm looking forward to learning other projects. Keep your head down and your faith up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS