I love scrap wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
A local winery built an outside bar and asked me if I could shelves in the barrels that are underneath the bar. It was an experience cutting wood that is held together by that much tension.
I used pressure treated decking for the shelves attached to a cleat screwed to the sides of the barrel. The scrap from the barrels was so different looking I made a wine rack from it. The inside of the barrels is stained a dark purple about 1/4" deep. I do not know what kind of oak it is. 2 of the barrels were from France and 2 from Hungry.

asset.php
asset.php

Attachments

• Barrell Wine Rack2.jpg
    Barrell Wine Rack2.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Shelton Bar inside.jpg
    Shelton Bar inside.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 86

rbdoby

New User
Rick
I attached a cleat to the inside of the barrel with screws and nailed the shelves to the cleat.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done wine rack from reclaimed wood. That's a beauty. :thumbs_up

Wine barrels are made from quartersawn white oak because they stay tight and don't leak whereas flat sawn wood will leak. Here's how it's done in France. Dimensioning the staves is a whole different beast! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjdrTgyWwg

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have heard that the French wine industry is also a big consumer of used whiskey barrels from the USA. The wood in those barrels could easily have come from Kentucky or Tennessee. Agree that it is white oak.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors