I like a challenge#3--The Paint Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Although The cornsheller doesn't require a paint job to make it functional, I think it adds a whole lot to the overall appeal to the project and does add a little bit of historical value.
In order to make the frame of the cornsheller look old, I begin by sanding all of the frame components to 100 grit to roughen it up a bit. I then mixed a water based acrylic paint with water to make a very thin wash and applied to the white oak frame with a foam brush. This will give the appearance of weathered wood which then is stained using an antique maple oil based stain and wiped off. The grain of the oak becomes prominent and the grey shows through just enough to make it look aged.
When I did the first cornsheller I hand cut the stencils which took lots of time and had I known then that I would be doing another Hocking Valley sheller I would have made the stencils out of real stencil board for re-use. I did have the original stencils and contacted several businesses that do custom stencils to see if it would be possible to have stencils made from my originals. WOW --I'm in the wrong business!!!
Average price was $75 per stencil for set up fee then $40 per stencil and that's with me supplying the stencil board. NOT--- I need 3 stencils ,so time to gather my patience and do some drawing. I could still use the original stencils as a pattern which did save lots of time even though the new stencils needed to be a little larger. Plus I added one more stencil which I did not make for the first cornsheller.So after 4 hours of drawing and cutting with an exacto knife the stencil problem is solved.
I used enamel spray paint for the red parts of the sheller and did the pin striping with enamel craft paints and used the Dab method for the stenciling.

Pacecornsheller020.jpg

Pacecornsheller019.jpg

So here are a couple of photos of most of the painting . I still have one more side to stencil then the whole think gets finished with a couple coals of shellac.

Pacecornsheller022.jpg

Pacecornsheller021.jpg

On to the assembly of the Hocking Valley Cornsheller--Stay tuned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS