I just closed the Are You Being Ripped Off thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
This thread, started by Bruce, had just about died. Jeff and David tried to stir it back up. I closed the thread. It's now political and argumentative.

Let me know if I over reacted.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I haven't even read the referenced posts and support your decision:wink_smil:wink_smil

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
One question, what reason did you give? I have a theory

Steve,

I alluded to my reasons in the first post of this thread. The thread was becoming political and argumentative (almost angry). This thread seems to be in condemnation of insurance companies, the health care system, and pharma in general.

I probably broke our own rules by not posting a closing comment in that thread, offering a reason for closing. This was a considered move in that the thread was already dying; people had expressed themselves and were mostly moving on. I thought that adding a reason for closing would only serve to fan the flames. I didn't want anyone to have something to argue with. I didn't want to publicly slap anyone, even if I did think they were posting flame bait. I think that if we "win" an argument, particularly if we win by force (secret moderator powers), the only thing we actually accomplish is to embarrass or irritate the loser to the point where we set ourselves up for another argument.

Your thoughts?

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Another thought on the reasonableness of a post to our (limited scope) forum:

If I were in the office, or at a construction site and someone walked up to me and started to tell me about their renal colic, or how angry they were because they knew someone who paid too much for a prescription, or lots of other topics in the Off Topic forum, there is a chance that I'd inform the person that they are providing way too much information ... which is only slightly more polite than saying 'shut up, I don't want to hear that'.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve,

I alluded to my reasons in the first post of this thread. The thread was becoming political and argumentative (almost angry). This thread seems to be in condemnation of insurance companies, the health care system, and pharma in general.

I probably broke our own rules by not posting a closing comment in that thread, offering a reason for closing. This was a considered move in that the thread was already dying; people had expressed themselves and were mostly moving on. I thought that adding a reason for closing would only serve to fan the flames. I didn't want anyone to have something to argue with. I didn't want to publicly slap anyone, even if I did think they were posting flame bait. I think that if we "win" an argument, particularly if we win by force (secret moderator powers), the only thing we actually accomplish is to embarrass or irritate the loser to the point where we set ourselves up for another argument.

Your thoughts?
Given that the thread remained visible, then I think your actions are well thought and reek of common sense. So no argument from me.

The reason I asked was not so much the current thread on Bruce's thread, but a different topic on moderation. I suspect that the amount and intensity of the blow back we get is sometimes affected by the way the user perceives the reasons for the moderation and a lot of that is affected by their perception of the tone of the reasons we give. :dontknow:Well that didn't come out quite right:no:, but hopefully everyone will understand what I am getting at, sort of?:embaresse

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Steve,

I absolutely do get this one. If I might quote from life's little instruction book; Proverbs 15:1 "A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare"

We need to be aware of how we address an issue... and even which ones we choose to address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS