I have finished finishing the finish and declare my tall dresser finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Thank you to all who helped me over the last few weeks with my finishing questions, I am pleased with the results and now have a new favorite for walnut finishing.

Working backwards...

The finish for this (only on the outside to prevent funky smells on the inside) started with two coats of oil/varnish (Pratt and Lambert gloss no. 38 + BLO + MS) each wet sanded in as they were applied with 600-grit then allowed to cure for a week. I then mixed up the P&L 50:50 with mineral spirits for a wipe on varnish and applied 6-coats with 24-hours and dry sanding occurring between coat 3&4. That was let to cure for a week before going to wax+MS with steel wool until the gloss what at a level that my wife liked. The drawer sides, insides and carcass insides were all sealed with shellac and waxed for those surfaces that would move.

This was my first big project with exclusively hand-cut dovetails, most of which were half-blind. I opted for through dovetails on the top of the case and an applied moulding to let those labor intensive little triangles show through which was a variation on the wide-dresser that this goes with (which has a continuous top). Other than that it was pretty straight forward case work with what turned out to be a great batch of walnut (I have never seen so many orange and yellow areas or as much feathering).

Thanks for looking!

TD 3-i.jpg

TD 1-i.jpg

TD 4-i.jpg

TD 2-i.jpg

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Awesomeeeeeeeeeee....Love the walnut...nice to work with too

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Awesome job. That's one to get passed down through the generations.

Red

eyekode

New User
Salem
The dresser and walnut look great! The wood has a lot of character and the oil lets it shine through. Where did you ge the wood?
Thanks!
Salem

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome work there David!!!! :eusa_danc

The finish and choice of hardware sure does compliment your fine craftsmanship. That walnut has to be some of the finest as well.

A beautiful piece of furniture that will be appreciated for a long time I am sure.

Well done!

Wayne

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
absolutely gorgeous!
What about the joinery for the bottom of the case?

The bottom is held (as are all the runners) by shallow, stopped dados. Since there is no long grain to glue with wood glue for this bottom, I use epoxy and several glue blocks underneath to secure it.

Salem, the walnut lumber came from Mark Patterson in Sanford as did the white cedar drawer bottoms. this was the second batch I bought from him and have been very happy.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
thats a very nice piece David!:icon_thum Pretty wood selection as well. Well done.:eusa_clap

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Beautiful piece! I love walnut, especially the smell. Congrats on all those dovetails :>

Question: Is that orientation for dovetails typical? My memory says that the tails are typically on the sides, as that will better resist the forces when lifting the piece by its top. But my memory isn't all that great...

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Beautiful piece! I love walnut, especially the smell. Congrats on all those dovetails :>

Question: Is that orientation for dovetails typical? My memory says that the tails are typically on the sides, as that will better resist the forces when lifting the piece by its top. But my memory isn't all that great...

Thanks to all for the kind words!

I believe that this orientation is typical based on the (limited) research I did on shaker style. Even without the applied moulding technique, these would have been half-blind with the same orientation and a solid top secured on top to the carcass.

One thing about moving, since it is an applied moulding, there is not enough strength to pick it up there anyway, so we were forced to grab a drawer divider and the back...which worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors