I have a screw loose

Status
Not open for further replies.

thsb

New User
Tim
unlike the figurative screw loose that i have always had, one of the bolts that holds a cutter on my Grizzly spherical cutterhead planer is getting loose and has now raised up twice, creating a nasty groove in some very nice wood. at some point there was a fairly big trauma to that side of the planer and I dont' know if a thread got messed up or exactly what happened.

when i screw the bolt in it feels very tight and it goes in with no problem. any suggestions on getting it to stay put?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Blue Loctite is made to keep fasteners from vibrating loose while still being able to remove them. I would give that a try. Red loctite will most likely hold it but may make it very difficult to remove when you need to.

When buying the Loctite, don't go by the color of the packaging. Go by the label. The last time I bought some at Lowe's, the "blue" loctite was in a red tube, and the "red" loctite was in a blue tube. The liquid itself is the correct color.

Go

nn4jw

New User
Jim
41PTuzCwoZL.jpg

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Yes, you want the "Medium Strength - blue". The red and orange strengths will be very permanent. You may have to destroy it to get it apart the next time. Make certain that you use the blue. DAMHIKT

Charley

thsb

New User
Tim
i did replace the insert screw but haven't used it with the new one because I was worried about it. i am going to get the loctite and use it as i hope to not take that cover and dust collection setup off again for a while! thanks.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Tim,

Do your bolts have a split lock washer? Maybe you've lost one so despite feeling tight it vibrates loose.

1. You shouldn't have to use LokTite.

2. Contact Grizzly for their recommendations.

thsb

New User
Tim
Jeff,
there isn't a washer. i agree i shouldn't have to use LokTite but like i said something traumatic happened in that area and I don't think it was a manufacturing error by Grizzly, but might try to call them. i have to order a couple things from them anyway.

thanks,
Tim

Tim,

Do your bolts have a split lock washer? Maybe you've lost one so despite feeling tight it vibrates loose.

1. You shouldn't have to use LokTite.

2. Contact Grizzly for their recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS