I hate relearning a lesson....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I was just cutting through mortises. Drilled (too close to the edge), didn't use the drill press for time (I hate my current drill press) then proceeded to par the sides... blew it right out by striking too hard. Now a piece that I have two tenons of time in and it's unusable.... I know better. I just didn't pay enough attention. I've did this same thing about 10 years ago. Oh and the icing on the cake, I messed up marking out the mortise and it would have been 1/2 too long, either way new piece is in order... Good grief. Gonna call it a day and try to make a new piece tomorrow.:mad::BangHead::kamahlitu

Any magic tricks to get this done correctly? The wood is figured ambrosia maple and is a little aggravating.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Buy a new drill press. I have a Jet bench top on a stand. It fits me. Doing it this way, you can make it fit you.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Boy, I sure am glad I've never done anything like that. Oh no, not me, never. :nah: :gar-Bi

Hey, if you only do it every 10 years, that's kinda like a first time, right. :dontknow:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
What I find is impressive is that you can remember 10 years ago - I am down to days not years. You deserve a new tool

Jeff

New User
Jeff
didn't use the drill press for time (I hate my current drill press)

Your impatience showed up and you told the drill press to take a hike! BTW, what's wrong with that ornery drill press to begin with?

Laying out the mortise location and dimensions is a nice way to start however you choose to finish it. :wink_smil

You're not in an exclusive club here so we can empathize with your frustrations.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Your impatience showed up and you told the drill press to take a hike! BTW, what's wrong with that ornery drill press to begin with?

Laying out the mortise location and dimensions is a nice way to start however you choose to finish it. :wink_smil

You're not in an exclusive club here so we can empathize with your frustrations.

My drill press is tiny and very underpowered. It's a hand-me-down from my dad. I used it years ago but had a decent on in CT. Now this one drives me nuts using it. Run-out, size, broken stops, no power and just annoying.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
One mistake every ten years, very impressive record...but, you can do better - if you had a new tool! Buy a new tool, it will make you happy as well as stimulate the local economy...it is the right thing to do!

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I was just cutting through mortises. Drilled (too close to the edge), didn't use the drill press for time (I hate my current drill press) then proceeded to par the sides... blew it right out by striking too hard. Now a piece that I have two tenons of time in and it's unusable.... I know better. I just didn't pay enough attention. I've did this same thing about 10 years ago. Oh and the icing on the cake, I messed up marking out the mortise and it would have been 1/2 too long, either way new piece is in order... Good grief. Gonna call it a day and try to make a new piece tomorrow.:mad::BangHead::kamahlitu

Any magic tricks to get this done correctly? The wood is figured ambrosia maple and is a little aggravating.

Zach,

Such is just a reminder that we are all human and foulable. If we were always perfect then there would be no great sense of achievement upon completing a well executed piece. God knows there have been many times when I accidentally built the perfect mirror image of the piece that I really needed and literally could not use it despite being a perfectly executed mistake, and then there are those days when one mistake after another is compounded and you just have to throw in the towel that day because it seems like everything I try I screw up that day. It gets worse still if I continue to try and work, or worse try to rush, a project when I start feeling really sick (as will happen due to my health issues).

The Art of Woodworking is all about learning to cover our mistakes, but sometimes you really do just come out ahead starting over after a really bad day. Just get some rest first and let the frustration pass as I always find myself most prone to continued error if I try to continue working on something while still frustrated with myself after a series of mistakes.

Good luck and just remember to enjoy those good days while getting through the bad ones!

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Like you, Zach, sometimes I am not satisfied with the first mistake, and want to do it again, better. :BangHead:

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
So I started over, cut the tenon too thin. LOL so then I cut it again. Finally got the tenon right. Now I will recut the through mortise and use the drill press.
And to all my friends wishing me happy tool shopping, not today, not soon. I got a little more time before I get my next tool. Needed to get my wife a new car just recently due to a wreck so until the budget has settled again.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS