I hate plumbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
What started out as a simple disconnect and plug tuned into alot more (bad cuss words)

I went to disconnect a couple of pipes that was used to supply hot and cold water to the old laundry room. No problem I thought, it's this gray plastic pipe... I'll just go get a couple of plugs and hose clamps from lowes and cut and plug the pipe. So I cut off the water took a section of pipe with me. The guy at lowes said he never seen that kind of pipe before but found some plugs that he said would work so I bought them and installed them. Turned the water back on and leak city... Ticked off, I went over to the town plumber he told me, they don't sell that kind of pipe or fittings anymore because it's be outlawed :( Come to find out it's called Polybutylene and it's pretty bad stuff. Thankfully I only had a section to get rid of (where the old laundry room used to be). Someone tied polybutylene into the existing copper. So I ripped out all the polybutylene and replaced it with copper. What was supposed an hour long job turned into an all day affair. Best part was there was no leaks when I tuned the water back on, so I must have done a good job sweating all the joints and I didn't even set the house of fire :) I'm glad all the polybutylene is gone because a lot of it snapped in my hand when I was taking it out, now I know why it was taken off the market.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Now you understand why plumbers charge $75 -$100 an hour. Because over the years there have been so many different types of piping, plumber never knows what he is going to find until he actually gets on the job. I've been on jobs that had FOUR different types of pipe to make a 20' run. Rules of plumbing: Hot on the left, cold on the right, sewer flows down hill, boss man is a sob, payday is Friday, and most important rule- Don't bite your finger nails after working in the sewer! As for sweating copper, secret is LACO Flux. You will have to go to supply house to get it. You can forget the sandpaper when using LACO.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Poly pipe is one of those building materials that ranks up there with fire-retardent-treated plywood and Chinese drywall. It was replaced by PEX pipe, which is in my humble opinion, one of the best things that ever happened to plumbing. PEX has a molecular structure that will let it expand to around double its diameter without bursting and it will return to its original size in short order.

Copper is good too, though it is very expensive and more susceptible to corrosion, galvanic corrosion, and failures from near-by lightning strikes. The biggest downside of PEX for the homeowner is that they crimp tools are pricey or you have to rent them.

Pete

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Well now I have a problem uggg... I just ran the shower - Hot water starts out strong then quickly looses some water pressure. Cold is just fine... Part of my plumbing involved replacing 3/4" cold supply to the hot water heater. I just checked and no leaks, so the nipple I used may have a burr in it??? I didn't check it for burrs, I should have :wmad: Fact is something is restricting the hot water flow. I'm gonna have to let it go until Monday evening when I'll have time to check it out. Yeah more fun NOT

BillGriz

New User
Bill
I feel your pain......

One thing I've learned over the years....there's no such thing as a simple plumbing job.:BangHead:
If I don't make at least 3 trips to the not so local hardware store, I know I' not done...

...I hate plumbing.....

Glad to hear you got it all straightened out....
Bill

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Well now I have a problem uggg... I just ran the shower - Hot water starts out strong then quickly looses some water pressure. Cold is just fine... Part of my plumbing involved replacing 3/4" cold supply to the hot water heater. I just checked and no leaks, so the nipple I used may have a burr in it??? I didn't check it for burrs, I should have :wmad: Fact is something is restricting the hot water flow. I'm gonna have to let it go until Monday evening when I'll have time to check it out. Yeah more fun NOT

Definitely sounds like a restriction of some type. Good luck to you!

BillGriz

New User
Bill
Sorry if I spoke too soon.... probably just some garbage in the line. If just the one shower, probably just need to pull the cartridge in the shower valve and clean it and the line out....

did I mention I hate plumbing????

Bill

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Sorry if I spoke too soon.... probably just some garbage in the line. If just the one shower, probably just need to pull the cartridge in the shower valve and clean it and the line out....

did I mention I hate plumbing????

Bill

All three showers - I just checked... I'm thinking it's either a solder ball around inside one of the fittings or a nipple burr. Either way I'm gonna have to rip some of it out and find out what the problem is. Whatever it is, it's obviously something I did wrong :wmad:

Truefire

New User
Chris
Oh yeah, we have all been there, one hour jobs leads into all day affair. I hate it whenever those types of absurdities occur.

I have thought many times when dealing with mechanical/plumbing/electrical issues, "How nice it would be if I didn't know how to do these things, then i wouldn't feel bad if i had to hire someone else to do them."

But no, i am actually glad that i have the know how..although it has created situations whereby i have been lying underneath houses at 11:30 at night with a flashlight, lying in a puddle of water. :thumbs_do

We just have to enjoy what it is that we are able to do, but it is frustrating at times, that is why we are here so you can vent my friend. We are rooting for you :banana:, you will be back in business before you know it. Although at present it certainly can irritate the heck out of one :saw:

take care, Chris

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Success :rolf: It was a nipple burr, actually it was more than just a burr... I think someone needed to change out their saw blade, man that was one nasty cut.

Yet another another Made in China - Fixed by American.

Note to self... don't grab and go - look it over first then grab and go.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I will have a go at most home repairs. So if I cannot get it fixed, I will get so flabbergasted or flummoxed that I won't mind calling a pro. Rule #1: they charge more if I insist on helping. :dontknow:

ncguy77

New User
Jim
Am i the only one that when i try to turn off a toilet or sink shutoff valve that water decides to start leaking from the knob stem? After replacing those valves with the most expensive i could find, those valves also want to leak after a few years. Absolute garbage.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
As another person who hates plumbing, reading this thread has brought back many, many unpleasant memories of one hour jobs becoming two days marathons, not to mention umpteen trips to the hardware/plumbing supply stores. After many years of watching my feeble efforts do little but make most matters worse, my bride encourages me (pleads) to call a plumber before I do anything...and I do!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Am i the only one that when i try to turn off a toilet or sink shutoff valve that water decides to start leaking from the knob stem? After replacing those valves with the most expensive i could find, those valves also want to leak after a few years. Absolute garbage.
Stem packing "sets." Usually returning valve to original position solves it, or tightening stem packing nut.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Stem packing "sets." Usually returning valve to original position solves it, or tightening stem packing nut.

Bruce what about ball valves? are they any better? I'm thinking about using them in the kitchen for hot and cold in the sink, hot for the dish washer and cold for the ice maker.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Bruce what about ball valves? are they any better? I'm thinking about using them in the kitchen for hot and cold in the sink, hot for the dish washer and cold for the ice maker.
Ball valves also have stem packing. Look for thin nut under handle. I like the quarter turn valves better thabn any other design. I used to be "brand prejudice", but it seems all are now made in China.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Jeff: not only are ball valves the best way to go they have a HUGE benefit most folks do not realize;
ball valves ARE FULL FLOW the pass thru on a given size valve IE 1/2, 3/4 etc is the same dia as the pipe it gets attached to :gar-Bi:wsmile::wsmile:
Oh plummin iz FUN :rotflm::rotflm: been there done that many many many many times:gar-Bi

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Ball valves it shall be - those other ones leak when you try and shut them off :tongue2:kinda cheap if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS