I guess this would be considered "tool gloat"... (beware of brief rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeptree

New User
William
...but I had to share with someone because my wife is completely unimpressed.

So I am making my largest leap in my woodworking tool maturity by replacing the cornerstone of my shop ... my table saw. For the last 9 years, I have been using a Craftsman Professional 1.75 HP cabinet saw. Over the years, I replaced many components to make it a better unit, including the motor, the pulleys, and the fence (Thank you Incra for making such a great product!). I have spent countless hours tuning it up to get to pretty accurate and make more use out of it. Unfortunately for her, but fortunately for me, the time has come to relegate her to second-string, ash I feel that she is holding me back, from both a time and capacity perspective. So, I will keep her on her mobile base to do small accurate work using the Incra fence and components that I have already either purchased or made.

So, what am I replacing it with? Well, after months of research, looking at all of the big brands with 5HP offerings (because the cost delta between 3HP and 5HP is negligable), that being Grizzly, General, Powermatic, Delta and Sawstop, I finally narrowed it down to the Sawstop and the Delta. The main reason for removing Grizzly, General and Powermatic from the running, was their business choice of sourcing the majority of their components, and some of their assembly to China, which I refuse to support. Sawstop does the exact same thing, and the only reason that they were in the equation, was because I was using safety as one of my variables upon which to measure. So, at the end of the day, between Sawstop and Delta, I had to weigh a few items, being safety, quality, country of origin for 70%+ of their components, and reputation. With all that in mind, I must digress for a few moments to bash on Sawstop:
Before all of the die-hard fans of Sawstop jump in, let me say this: Sawstop makes a great quality product and their safety features are unparalleled in the industry. Unfortunately, the fact that they have chosen to take a great product and outsource the manufacturing to China, and steal American jobs from American workers, in order to make another 10% margin, is unacceptable to me. In addition, the business practice of attempting to lobby Congress to enact laws that make it mandatory for ALL saws sold in the U.S.A. to contain one of these types of safety devices (of which the owner of Sawstop owns 17 patents for safety designs, all of which manufacturers would have to pay royalties for, driving up the cost of the saws) drives me crazy with anger. When did one's personal responsibility to working safely and maintaining a safe working environment and properly working tools, become the domain of federal law?! Case in point: motorcycle helmets. I do not support the law to force riders to wear helmets...why? Because myself included, millions of Unites States citizens have risked their life in combat to protect our freedoms, namely the freedom of choice to express yourself guarunteed by the first amendment, which these men and women have given life, limb and sanity to protect. Now, with that said, I have been riding motorcycles for the last 32 years. I wear a helmet every time that I get on a bike...along with gloves, boots, and a jacket...but that is my choice, and I have taken personal responsibility for my own safety.

OK...so I guess you can see that I didn't choose Sawstop. :) I did choose the Delta Unisaw, 5HP 52". What an amazing product! Made for many years in Jackson, TN, and recently moved to Anderson, SC, this is a company that is getting its products back to its roots: The heart of America. This product is made almost entirely in the U.S.A., from the base, to the case, to the motor, to the trunion, to the table top, to the fence...wow. GREAT JOB Delta! I think that there are some smaller components that are not made here, like the handles, the plastic covers, maybe the switch, but otherwise...I couldn't be happier! (I also think that the mobile base is made in China, but I haven't received it yet, so I can't tell you.) That coupled with the single peice trunion, and the front access handles made me very happy. I also love the handle up front to release the lock on the riving knife.

I ordered this from Woodcraft in Charlotte on Wednesday, and the manager called me yesterday and told me it was in. Wow! 2 days for a 700 pound saw! Happy times! I will post more information, including pics of assembly and comparison to my old saw. :)

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Congratulations on getting the new saw. Let us know how you like it once you get it up and running.

Bill

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey William,

Great choice, (and a commendable thought process). Congrats on the new saw - that'll round your shop out nicely!

The desire to work with domestic made quality is what initially led me to restoring and using "vintage" power tools from the golden age of cast iron, as there weren't that many options in that arena a few years back, (of course since then, I've become addicted to OWWM, but that's another story). I admire Delta for bringing their production back home!

How is the family? Next time you are in the Raleigh area, give me a call!

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Congratulations on the new saw. Looking forward to reading your reviews.

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
Too bad that even though Delta is building it here, that same chinese company that makes all those other brands also owns Delta so the profits are still going to asia.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Even though the owner's profits may go to Asia, the largest portion of the dollar remains in America with the employees, taxes paid, suppliers, contractors, utility services, transportation, etc. A big piece of the pie is far tastier than no pie at all. Just my humble opinion.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Well snap-diggity! Good news is always new tools....:icon_scra I mean new tools are always good news.

DWSmith

New User
David
that same chinese company that makes all those other brands also owns Delta so the profits are still going to asia.

Another fact about Delta in SC; the plant they are in is the old Ryobi plant. That Chinese company owns Ryobi, Delta and others. Agreed, the bulk of the profits are leaving the country.

b4man

New User
Barbara
William,
I'm just impressed with your research in finding the best product for you! Congratulations and don't loose your dedication for safety!

Deeptree

New User
William
William,
I'm just impressed with your research in finding the best product for you! Congratulations and don't loose your dedication for safety!

Thank you Barbara! :). My mobile base has not arrived yet, or i would have pictures up already! I will take a day off work when it gets here to assemble and tune it, as well as take pictures of it compared to my old unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS