I got my courage up to try this

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I have wanted to try one of these but have been hesitant for fear of ruining wood. Scott's cross encouraged me to give it a shot. I think it turned out fairly well. Unfortunately my photography still stinks.
C22_IMGP1804.jpg

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Wow, that is beautiful.

You are much braver than I — I would not have feared ruining the wood, I’d have feared making just one bad mistake that ruined all my other hours of scrollsawing! A new chunk of wood usually costs relatively little plus a few seconds to cut it to length and a few more minutes to mill and sand it flat — but there is no recovering all those lost hours spent at the scrollsaw!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It turned out awesome. And remember you have to break some eggs to bake a cake. Hey it's wood, it grows on trees.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
Cathy,

That is absolutely beautiful. I am not a scrollsaw person. How about some details on how you did this piece?

Rob

cskipper

Cathy
I learned a long time ago to do the area that scared me the most first. That way if I messed it up I hadn't spent hours of cutting.

cskipper

Cathy
Cathy,

That is absolutely beautiful. I am not a scrollsaw person. How about some details on how you did this piece?

Rob

Thank you. It is made of 5 layers of 1/8" Baltic Birch plywood. The top layer was the scary one due to all the thin lines. The next 3 layers have increasing widths of the lines on the top layer and the last is the backer. Then glue it all back together.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
very nice Cathy! Reminiscent of some of your baskets I've seen. You do good work! Roughly how much time do you have on this?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow, that is beautiful.

You are much braver than I — I would not have feared ruining the wood, I’d have feared making just one bad mistake that ruined all my other hours of scrollsawing! A new chunk of wood usually costs relatively little plus a few seconds to cut it to length and a few more minutes to mill and sand it flat — but there is no recovering all those lost hours spent at the scrollsaw!

There are two general rules of thumb in scroll saw work. First you do the more delicate areas first as they are the areas where you might have issues and that way you have not invested a lot of time and effort before you work on the harder areas. The second rule is you work from the center out that way the center is surrounded with lots of material for strength and support.

cskipper

Cathy
very nice Cathy! Reminiscent of some of your baskets I've seen. You do good work! Roughly how much time do you have on this?

I have about 10 hours in this. I was having trouble with my saw so it probably wouldn't take as long. I also cut 3.

jhreed

New User
james
every so often I think I am becoming a wood worker. Then I see something like Cathy's work, and realize I am just a wood butcher. But, I do love making sawdust.

cskipper

Cathy
every so often I think I am becoming a wood worker. Then I see something like Cathy's work, and realize I am just a wood butcher. But, I do love making sawdust.

Thank you. I have several people who's work make me feel exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS