I found this owl in the wood-finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
Here is the owl project that I tried to get ya'll to discourage me from attempting to cut. It is cut from 1/8" Baltic Birch plywood. The pattern is by Jake Klipple and the owl itself is approx. 5.5 x 8.5". I spent about 17 hours cutting this piece.

Spectacled_Owl_-_Pattern_by_Jake_Klipple.JPG

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Wow, Cathy! Nice job on the owl...now I know why nobody tried to talk you out of doing it. It's beautiful!!!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Cool, Cathy! You should be very pleased and proud!

So, when do you begin "mass production" and how much will each copy be?:gar-La;

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
Beautiful work and it was well worth it..........as long as it was you cutting. I'm going blind just looking at those tiny cuts.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Pretty Cool Owl :icon_thum

You must have an extremely delicate touch ( and a really good saw) to keep from breaking out some of those fine lines!

Great job . . .

pete

cskipper

Cathy
Cool, Cathy! You should be very pleased and proud!

So, when do you begin "mass production" and how much will each copy be?:gar-La;

Thanks all.
Reggie - I cut 4 and will hopefully never cut it again! It made me a wreck - and not want to scroll. How much? I haven't even attempted to set a price yet. I've got at least 17 hours in it.

Pete - I have a Hegner. One of the biggest problems I had was keeping that pattern attached when cutting lines that close together. The pattern would lif and I used a ton of scotch tape tryhg to keep it attached and the pieces in place.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
One of the biggest problems I had was keeping that pattern attached when cutting lines that close together. The pattern would lif and I used a ton of scotch tape tryhg to keep it attached and the pieces in place.

Cathy, SUPER JOB!!!!!

I use M77 from 3M to attach my patterns and do not have any lift off issues. When done I use a paper towel and MS to remove it. I fret work like that I lay the wet towel over the entire project for 3-4 minutes.

cskipper

Cathy
What's M77? I think the painters tape was really lifting. Could have been due to the close cuts and using a reverse tooth blade.

How do you think this would look framed between 2 pieces of glass?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Cathy, that is amazing work. I would not have the patience do do that project!!

Touchwood

New User
Don
Cathy,

I saw some of your work at the picnic, but this is even better. Congrats on a really nice piece of work...I'm sure it takes a lot of patience.

Don

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful piece, Cathy!!!:notworthy::notworthy:

I can't see how you could possibly outdo this one!!!!

Awesome!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Wayne

sawduster

New User
Robert
BRAVO CATHY !!
Nicely done !! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I cut 4 and will hopefully never cut it again! It made me a wreck - and not want to scroll.

I cut one " busy " project like that and felt exactly the same way . It got personal after a while and I was determined to finish it, but it stopped being fun :BangHead: That pretty much broke me forever from busy stuff :wconfused:

Smart move to cut 4 :icon_thum Frame it nicely and put a premium price tag on it
.......you've earned it :eusa_clap

What kind of blade did you use ?

cskipper

Cathy
Thank you. What type blade didn't I use (except spirals)? After trying all kinds, I mostly used FD UR #5. The #3's "gave" in that thickness of plywood (3 1/8" and 1 1/4").

That is exactly what it became - I'll be darn if I wasn't finishing it. I will be avoiding that kind of cutting for awhile now.

How do you think one would look with the owl itself not having a backing, but glass on both sides? I guess it would only make sense if it was going to be hung in a window. I'll work on the matting now.

Do you have suggestions about adding a question I'm sending you in a pm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS