I found this heater

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Northern tool has this heater on sale: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200921655_200921655
I also foudn this one - https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200921656_200921656
First, I wanted make anyone aware that might be interested.
Second, I wanted some assistance to understand if this is sufficient to heat a two car garage or if you need more BTU's

More info - my garage is un insulated, but I have used a ventless propane heater (and no, I don't know how many BTU's that was, wouldn't that be easy...) and I had to turn it down or off on cold days in the garage!

TIA for your help.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have that in my shop. It worked. Works better after I insulated. 24x32 3 car garage. With 40 some odd t-5s going at the same time it was toasty in a couple hours.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have that in my shop. It worked. Works better after I insulated. 24x32 3 car garage. With 40 some odd t-5s going at the same time it was toasty in a couple hours.
@FredP you have the small one (17,000 BTU)?

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Lowes has one made by Dimplex for the same price except 4000 watts and I heat a 16x24 insulated space with it. Really cold days need a boost from a propane unit to get started. I like the dimplex because it has a thermostat that works. I just noticed that it has some bad reviews but I have been using mine for 5 or more years without issue. It comes with a long cord and a bracket that allows wall or overhead mounting.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lowes has one made by Dimplex for the same price except 4000 watts and I heat a 16x24 insulated space with it. Really cold days need a boost from a propane unit to get started. I like the dimplex because it has a thermostat that works. I just noticed that it has some bad reviews but I have been using mine for 5 or more years without issue. It comes with a long cord and a bracket that allows wall or overhead mounting.
@Cuthriell how do you have it wired (what gauge) and what circuit breaker or fuse (what amperage) are you using?

DavidS

David
User
Hank, I have a similar unit, a Fahrenheat, that I bought from Amazon in 2010 for $300.00. It is a 5000 watt unit, and it has heated my well insulated 24x28 shop for the last 10 years with no problems. I live in the NC mountains, and it heats my shop to 55 degrees. It works on the coldest days.

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
@Cuthriell how do you have it wired (what gauge) and what circuit breaker or fuse (what amperage) are you using?
It uses a 30 amp breaker. I had to change the receptacle that was already installed to one to fit the plug that came with the heater. I do not know the gauge of the wire. It is surely whatever goes with 30 amps because it was installed by a regular electrician working on a permit. The heater has a built in overload.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have the 17k btu one and my shop is not insulated. It works fine in a limited area but limits whai I can do Sawstop and Dc take my only 2 30 amp 240v plugs hence bo heat when using the table saw
I have a forced air propane heater that works great, just costly to run a lot as a tank only lasts 5-6 hours

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
@FredP you have the small one (17,000 BTU)?
not sure what one i have. it takes a 40 amp circuit. i couldn't find the amp draw on their description. it looks the same as those. edit to add. the first one in your post is 3ph. second one would be correct for a home shop. also mine had to be hardwired.

Last edited:

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Hmmmnnnn...

I have a 30 amp breaker for my jointer/planer. I have only one outlet so I'd have to turn off the heat whenever I use the j/p. No biggie.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a unit like DavidS. Works great in my 22x32 with 9' ceiling insulated shop. One of the secrets of heating a shop is to not expecting any heater to raise the temp 20-25 degrees. 5-10 degrees is more realistic. Remember you have to heat the air plus all that heavy metal (steel and cast iron). During the winter I keep my shop at about 55 at night. Takes about an hour to reach the low 60's which I find comfortable.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Surprise, Surprise ! ! ! Yesterday I clicked on the two links Hank provided. This morning I had an email from Northern Tool featuring the same two heaters and asking if I am "still interested". You gotta love the internet. ;)

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Surprise, Surprise ! ! ! Yesterday I clicked on the two links Hank provided. This morning I had an email from Northern Tool featuring the same two heaters and asking if I am "still interested". You gotta love the internet. ;)
It's actually kinda creepy that you can just click on an item and then get emails and ads for it or related items for weeks.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's actually kinda creepy that you can just click on an item and then get emails and ads for it or related items for weeks.
I had a problem with that a few years ago here when Google was 'sponsor'. They kept sending popups trying to tell me how to find out Victoria's secret........... :D
Yes, It's scary to think how much Mark Zuckerberg knows about all of us.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Hank, I used a ventless propane heater in my un insulated garage the past couple of winters. Even being ventless it still gave off fumes I didn't much care for. All that being said mine was an 18,000 BTU propane heater. I could turn it on an hour or so before i went out and it would be warm enough to turn down to low already.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
So Dennis, can you share Victoria's secret with the rest of us. Inquiring minds want to know. Asking for a friend, of course. :p
I hear that Victoria's Secret ain't much of a secret!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, I used a ventless propane heater in my un insulated garage the past couple of winters. Even being ventless it still gave off fumes I didn't much care for. All that being said mine was an 18,000 BTU propane heater. I could turn it on an hour or so before i went out and it would be warm enough to turn down to low already.
I kept my ventless, thinking this electric should maintain, but it may take something (Bigger or more) to raise the temp...
We shall see...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS