I found a new hobby...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drclem1215

New User
Daniel
Greetings fellow woodworkers. My name is Daniel Clements, my wife and I just bought a house in Willow Springs, NC and now I have a garage/workshop. Due to the fact that I am a stay-at-home dad and full-time student, I decided I needed to finally start that woodworking hobby I've always wanted to pick up. I am in the planning stages of outfitting my workshop and hope to be up and running in a few months. We, the LOML and I, set a plan and budget for this hobby. Spending $$ on me is #3 on the list of expenditures right now but until then, I am researching and soaking up all the information I can get my hands on. So, any hints, tips and general "I learned..." 's are greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to get to know a little bit about me and I hope to get to know some of you guys as this endeavor unfolds.

-Daniel

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Welcome

And good luck on your new hobby.

You will get plenty of advice, don't you worry.

And we like plenty o pics! So post some of your new shop under constr!

M

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Welcome. Be sure to pay attention to our classifieds and pointers to craigslist. There are frequently pretty good tool values showing up.

bobby g

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Daniel!:icon_cheers

Plenty solid advice here to assist you making the right tool purchases based on plenty experience.

When I retired in 2004, I too needed to get into something interesting and rewarding. I joined NCWW late in 2005 and I must say that almost everything I have learned was right here!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Fire away with any questions you may have! Saying goes .....the only silly question is the one not asked. So true, so true!!!

Enjoy, post often and don't forget the pictures of your work. We love pictures around here!

Wayne

Dudelive

New User
Dude
Welcome to the site and glad to have you join with the future questions and pictures.

Just don't forget to take pictures BEFORE you start making it your shop. Then take pictures from the same spot and angle with the same lighting AFTER the shop is up... before and after shots.

Good advice has been given. Need advice just ask.

Dudelive

Bob Buchholz

New User
Bob Buchholz
Spending $$ on me is #3 on the list of expenditures right now

Hoo Boy!! First advice is you are NOT spending money on you. You are investing in tools to build beautiful and inexpensive items for HER pleasure and comfort! :icon_thum

DaveD

New User
Dave
Welcome.
Buy tools as you need them.
Watch craigslist for quality stationary used tools.
Buy quality tools (cost more, work better) and they will last a lifetime. Buy Horror freight (Harbor freight) quality and you will eventually buy the quality version anyway after the horror freight variety craps out.
95% (all quality tools) of the tools I have bought over the last 50 years I still have. The 40 year old air compressor is on its last legs and the next one I buy will outlast me and probably last my son his lifetime.

However as my dad said many years ago 'tools don't make the mechanic'
My rebuttal was 'yeah, but they sure help'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors