I finally bit the bullet

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I have been thinking about a CNC for quite a while and finally pulled the trigger. Got this a couple of weeks ago and finally got it put together and operational. It is all USA manufactured by Carbide3D and very high quality compared to others I have seen. Newest version with all updates and comes with all the free programming needed. Now all I have to do is learn how to use it as I am close to being a computer idiot - I guess it is the age thing!

Attachments

• 17773BF2-7ED5-4B21-A32C-7BE802E59119.jpeg
    17773BF2-7ED5-4B21-A32C-7BE802E59119.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 159

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the exact unit. Still trying to find the time to learn it. I understand the age thing

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Best method to learn CNC - Start cutting things - Learn from your mistakes.
Signs are probably the easiest for a "first" project.

Back when I was building my CNC. The quote was "Your machine build wasn't finished until you broke your first router bit."
That said - don't start with $80-$120 router bits. MDF and pine will be your goto lumber until you feel good about your machine.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Actually, if you know what you want to do, modern software should be intuitive enough to do it. If it is that confusing, blame the UI coders.
Realize, I am a computer scientist and I am slowly going back to almost all hand work. Machines for rough sizing.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
The unit that I have is the Shapeoko 3 standard. It is the smallest of Carbide3D's offerings with the cutting limits of
16" x 16". My choice was influenced by the machine foot print and its weight. It has all of the latest upgrades for that
series - including the screw operated Z axis. I also purchased a couple of options which will make operation easier and more fool proof. At this time I cannot imagine needing anything larger. Customer support is as good as it gets and there
are You Tube videos covering everything by both the company and the user community. No buyers remorse here!!!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
All wondered ... "Realize, I am a computer scientist " This explains your sense of humor ....... :D ;)

Actually, if you know what you want to do, modern software should be intuitive enough to do it. If it is that confusing, blame the UI coders.
Realize, I am a computer scientist and I am slowly going back to almost all hand work. Machines for rough sizing.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS