I don;t like flimsy jigs, crown jig

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
As no corner is 45 degrees, using the compound is hit or miss. I looked at the popular jigs and found them to be lacking, so a bit of angle iron and I made my own.

I made setup blocks for the two size moldings in my house. As I only have to do the miter, I can do the 45.7 degree or whatever and the bevel is not off.

It is not dissimilar to the flimsy sheet metal DeWalt jig. My Ridgid actually has a tapped hole in a reinforced boss on the side already.

20210713_153005.jpg
20210713_153012.jpg

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice job but I must ask. Why are you not just using the back flat on the bed method? You just have to set the bevel and miter according to published angle charts. It is so easy. In fact many digital protractors have the charts builtin.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The flat compound cut flat method is very hard to maintain both angles. What do you set the angles to if the corner is 90 1/2 degrees? OK, I can get one of those fancy calculators, but adjusting my saw to off detent is a hit or miss. Or mostly a miss or miss.

I am going to test if the new full kerf blade makes straighter cuts. The thin kerf tended to make a curved cut in a compound miter. Tomorrows project is just a cover for the kitchen hood flu so it will be square. Inside corners if coped are a bit more tolerant. If I get to it.

Headed down to get a few rolls of zoysia sod to cut up and plug my yard. Sick of chic-weed, crabgrass and clover. I had zoysia in Maryland and loved it. Don't care it turns brown, it chokes out almost everything, no fertilizer and drought resistant. Still researching shower pans and shower walls. A no-barrier trough drain with curtain would allow full accessibility if the need ever arises. I hate glass doors and dirty grout. Looking at 2 x 4 porcelain tiles. I'm afraid even Swan wall panels would not fit the finish in the rest of the house. Even though I hope it's 15 years, I do think resale.

If I had an extra $1500 around, them maybe I would have a nicer saw, but alas, retired civil servant so some scrap angle iron and my Ridgid will have to do.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Looks like we both went to the same welding school. You want me to be on the look out for some bed rails? Been passing them up, as I have a healthy supply. Thing I don't understand about bed rails is why folks think they need new ones when they buy a new mattress?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yes Bruce, I would greatly appreciate a few more.

Ugly welds, but they did penetrate. I can do pretty good when I need to. I had it all clamped up in place and did not take it to the bench to do pretty. I'm cheap so I keep my gas low unless it matters. I guess I could switch to CO2 from mix.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Ugly welds that hold are better than smooth pretty ones that don't. My welding confuses the local dirt dobbers.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS