I can't make money in woodworking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Well, i've thought about this for many years now. I used to think if I could just get this machine or break into this certain market or build up a certain clientele that i could make a good living doing the thing I like most. But after a few years and several projects completed I realize that I will never make money in wood working.

I used to do fairly well in the sign business and made good money in stained glass, even repairing antiques paid pretty well. But, for a one man shop to turn out the kind of volume needed to turn a profit requires more capital, time and energy than I have or expect to have in the remaining years of my life.

So, now what?

I am not going to walk away and give up. But, I'm not going to do any commission work from now on. I will make what I want to make and give it away or keep it. If somebody wants it bad enough we'll discuss a price, but I'm not out to make things to sell.

I am in it for me, for my own enjoyment and satisfaction.

That's a hard thing for me to do, I have never done anything just for me.

BarryC

New User
Barry
Doing it the way you want to is a good attitude to have. When we start doing what we love as a hobby for a living it becomes a job. And then it doesn't usually seem as fun anymore.

fergy

New User
Fergy
You're in good company...many others have had to face the same thing, and at least you've kept a good perspective as to why you're doing this...we should all do what we do because we want to, not because we have to.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
It's a sad fact of current life that people want handcrafted furniture/articles but are unwilling to pay the craftsman a fair price.

Good luck with your strategy change.

Dan C.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Mike, I've come to the same conclusion and I haven't done any commision work. I figured I do ww'ing because I enjoy it and it provides me an outlet. If I was trying to make a living with it, I think it'd lose all of it's charm.

MikeCSmith

New User
Mike
Well, I get $1,000 for an adirondack chair, $500 for a small side table, $100 for a little measuring jig that I make. Of course there is also about a year wait for anything I make. I just can't wait until somebody tells me they want one of these items.

I have had quite a few people ask me about making things, but when they hear my prices, I don't usually hear back except maybe a, "no thanks."

So I just enjoy what little bit I get to do and try to lean new things about woodworking and there is no end to the number of people I can give my stuff to.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Mike was generous enough to give away roughly $ 2,500 worth of his well designed push sticks at our Christmas Banquet. Mine is well made, sure glad I didn't have to buy it.:rotflm:

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
It is sad that people want this type of craft/art/etc but don't want to pay the premium for handcrafted items. I would be happy if I could have my hobby pay for itself. I have taken the attitude many have in that I am doing this for me it is an outlet for me to get the heck away from computers and into something totally different. I do it for me and my family and will continue to do so as long as possible. Plus the fact that I am a newb and wouldn't expect anyone to buy anything I build or make. Plus like everyone else has said I am afraid it would become a job at that point.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I have had quite a few people ask me about making things, but when they hear my prices, I don't usually hear back except maybe a, "no thanks."

So I just enjoy what little bit I get to do and try to lean new things about woodworking and there is no end to the number of people I can give my stuff to.

IMHO, that's the best approach. Price it so that it is a "win" for you and if the buyer is in your target niche then they will buy it and will consider it a "win" for them too. If any of that equation gets out of balance then it's no good. If the buyer forces you to a low price, then it's a lose/win in that they got what they want but you didn't get what you deserved. If it goes the other way and the buyer buys out of his/her range, then buyers remorse kicks in and they are never happy. It's a lose/lose. Yeah, you got the money, but you'll never get a referral from that person and doubt they will buy again.

So, I'm with you Mike.

So what if people walk away ... "it's not for everyone" as they say.

As for those trying to make a living at this ... I wish you the best of luck. I do think it is doable, but you may not like what it involves to make that happen. I can pretty much promise you it ain't as easy as sitting back in the shop cranking out trinkets and waiting for a buyer. You're going to have to put all chips in and operate like a true business (even if you are a one man show). You'll quickly learn you have to be the marketer, spokesperson, author, editor, designer, creator, cheerleader, support person, financer, investor, banker, and most importantly a savvy businessperson -- none of which comes easy nor with little effort. And even then ... no guarantee (just like any other business).

PS - This is not to meant to suggest in any form that Mike, or anyone else, didn't put all their chips in. This topic is actually close to my mind right now after talking to another WWer about it recently (ok, last night) so I felt like stating my two cents & hopefully give some hope to those trying.

bluthart

New User
Brian
That's why I am a cop... so I can make the big money!!!:rotflm:
The few commissions I have done I figure I make $5/hr. At least you can enjoy the occasional cold beverage while also making $5/hr. It's also a great way to unwind, and I think that's the way I will look at it. I couldn't support my dog on the little profit I make, but I do enjoy the things I actually keep. My wife always knows where I am too! Sometimes I break a drinking glass or leave the toilet seat up on purpose, so she will banish me to my shop. Kinda like brer rabbit... "Please don't throw me in the briar patch!"

M

McRabbet

I must agree with you Mike. I love the woodworking that I do much more than the small monetary rewards that come with the commission pieces I've done over the past few years. I've been fortunate to find customers that could afford to pay for quality and I honestly believe they've all been happy with the results of our effort. The money has always gone back into supporting the "business", the shop and to buy materials -- it is fortunate that my retirement income is sufficient to pay for the food on the table! I've paid myself precious little, but I've savored it for the joy of working with wood and making others happy.

bwat

New User
Bill
Yep! I better not quit the "day job" until I have all the tools I need. Is that possible?!?!? Oh well, guess that means I'll never retire.:BangHead:

cskipper

Cathy
I've never figured I'd be able to make a living at wwing. The one time I sold to the gallery I discovered that I hated production cutting. I have no idea what I'll do with all the stuff I do cut, but when I am scrolling, I am having fun.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I do WW'ing because I enjoy it. I always say, "If I am doing it for money, there is no fun in it." Now if I can get a decent price for something that I had fun making, then THAT is win/win. :icon_thum

I figure if I am going to take less than I have put in the stuff, I will give it away to someone who deserves/can really use it.

Anyone has the option to offer less money than I want, and I have the option to say, "No thanks."

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
It didn't take me too long to realize I'm waaaay to slow to make any money in woodworking. I've had people ask me to make them something and I always respond the same way: "It takes me forever to build these. If I charged you minimum wage and materials, it would be so much that no sane person would ever pay it!"

Rob

New User
Rob
That's the main reason I got out of custom fabrication for off road vehicles. People would send me a picture of a bumper made by Warn, and want me to make it cheaper. I would have to tell them that mine was custom fit, and would cost more. I did a roll cage once, figured out after it was done I made about $4/hour. That's when I raised my rates to $40/hour plus materials, I would then only get the people that had a clue about the amount of work it took to bend, fit and weld a roll cage. I've since sold my bender and bought my lathe, now I have pen orders, but they wait at my convenience. If it takes me a couple weeks, then so be it, I'm up front that it might take me a while to get to it, and that's because I don't want to turn it into a job. I mainly do it for tool money now.

stave

New User
stave
Making a living from woodworking is tough. I carve exclusively and I dare say the market gets even smaller.
As a woodworker there seems to be two choices...one of a kind or production work. I started out with production and quickly realized that being a factory was not my choice. One of a kind is more rewarding but harder to sell. I have done shows, galleries, co-ops and walk in business and commissions. I make the most money from commission work.
It all comes down to marketing, not that much about what you make..pet rocks proved that! I market a year in advance, constantly look out for opportunities to get free advertising by donating small pieces or showing work. Marketing takes as much time as producing.
Staying debt free is all important..that has kept me afloat during these times. All purchases and money spent is thought out as to whether it is a want or a need. After 30 years I am still constantly shifting my marketing and occasionally my products to suit the every changing business world. I have had to re-invent myself more than once to stay in business. It is tough but like I told my kids and the folks I occasionally teach...it takes patience, perseverance and passion. Take one of the three away and you are doomed.

Stave

PChristy

New User
Phillip
This thread has really got me think about the New Jersey deal that I brought up the other day - I really don't think that I want to get in to that - I just told Karen that I want to make things and go to the shows and sell/or not sell - I want to do my wood working and enjoy it - if I can sell something and make a few dollars over the cost - hey that is ok with me - but if not I will still enjoy it - It is a shame thoe that years ago people would pay for custom built wood working but now they just don't see or care what goes into that custom piece and want it for practically nothing:no:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I made the pens I gave to my family @ Christmas as a learning experience as well a way to be able to give them something of myself. To me, the pens had no monetary value over their materials cost and it was my hope that they would be enjoyed by their recipients. One of my sisters kept going on & on about how I could sell these for $300-$400 and how I could 'add little jewels here, etc.'. It was embarrassing to me. I've not turned on the lathe since Christmas & I think that may be part of the reason. I enjoy the creativity of it, the planning, the 'figuring out how'. That I've made a product someone else can enjoy is just 'cake icing'.
I envy people that can make a living at this but I also understand the frustration with trying to do so. Better for me to keep it as a creative outlet. I think some people need one to stay young.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I will make what I want to make and give it away or keep it.

I am in it for me, for my own enjoyment and satisfaction.

That's a hard thing for me to do, I have never done anything just for me.

Mike, I think, that ultimately, true satisfaction comes in being able to give things away. And seeing the look of delight in the recipients eyes, you realize just how much that which we feel we do for ourselves, really is for someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS