I am so ready...

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I'll be the first to admit that I have a problem... I've all but quit buying bench planes (with exceptions of course) but blocks and eggbeaters are a different animal.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Here is a suggested way you could store and display your planes. A very good friend and co-founder with me of the Western NC Woodworkers Association by the name of Randy Osborne (he was "ozzie-x" here) was an avid plane collector who specialized in a particular maker, H.C. Marsh Planes of Rockford, Illinois who made metallic planes in the Bailey/Stanley style from 1870's to the early 1920's. Randy found very good copies of all 24 bench planes, 14 block planes and 3 specialty planes over several years of scrounging (in total, he had well over 1,000 planes). He started building a special cabinet to display the collection to share with fellow tool collectors, but died of brain cancer on June 2, 2010 before he could complete the cabinet. On his death bed, I promised him that I would finish the cabinet and display it at Mid-West Tool Collectors Assoc. meetings. Randy designed the case in Walnut with beautiful veneers such that the planes would stand vertically with a socket for the heel and hidden magnets behind the veneer above the mouth to hold each plane in place. Working with a fellow WNCWA member who had a ShopBot CNC, we made the pediment name plate, the tags for each plane and dividers in curly hard maple and finished the cabinet. I took the collection to regional M-WTCA meetings in Raleigh and northern Georgia and then to the National Meeting in Louisville, KY in October 2010. I am including a number of pictures from my Gallery that show off its beauty. The Display and Collection won Best in Class and Best in Show (People's Choice) at the National meeting. Following the showings at these meetings, I returned the collection (with an offer to buy it that was not accepted) to Randy's widow. She sold it less than a year later.

As a footnote, My wife Nancy died less than 2 weeks after Randy, so working on his legacy project kept me pretty well occupied despite my obvious loss.

Here are some captioned pictures from the Marsh Cabinet Album in my Gallery.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Wow... That's an impressive piece of work. I may have to imitate that on a less grand scale.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Corporate Member
Question is.... How to display all these planes, eggbeaters and my saws?

View attachment 197171

View attachment 197172

View attachment 197173
An impressive collection, indeed. I wonder if future generations will collect their 'cordless power tools' in the same way? I could see a glass case with a Ridgid drill and circular saw......... I also wonder how many of our youth out there are even interested in these tools and their proper use? Heaven forbid we end up going back to the days when this is all we have to work with. Only us gray hairs will even know how.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS