I am down to one home improvement store

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I've been buying (sorta) local at Blizzard's in Kinston and it's a pleasure to shop there. The drive is worth it. They beat Lowe's prices on most anything....

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
I love our lowes small town always treated me right sorry you had bad experience

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've resigned myself to the fact that both Big Box stores are woefully lacking in customer service. Only "trained" employees I have interaction is paint mixers. In fact, I don't even ask for assistance in other departments unless it's something that needs to be loaded with a fork lift - and I'd do that myself if they didn't kick me out of the store.
Management has taken to the Wal Mart business philosophy: Keep wages low and employees trained to the lowest common denominator. Guys in plumbing were working in garden supplies last week, and they think they are being 'trained' in all the departments so they can become managers but other than where it is on the shelf (they have to memorize that), they know very little about the products they sell. Truth is, that's how management weeds them out, thinking they will get frustrated before their chance at promotion comes around.
The company I work for has also had to modify their contract agreements regarding pricing and targeted completion dates due to product availability. Looks like my decision to retire is being reaffirmed every day.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Hate to hear your bad experience. It could just be management at your local store. The Burlington Lowes is great and has very good customer service. The Home Depot has comparable customer service but for some reason they built a Mini HD in Burlington that has very limited selection. Generally when I go to one of these stores, I want the item now, not a few days from now after the order is shipped.
Both the Lowes and HD are the Taj Mahal stores in the Raleigh/Cary/Apex area compared to the smaller towns. The products they carry seem to be geared to a higher socioeconomic level. Unfortunately, the basics are higher priced than in my area. Welcome to the Walmart approach to pricing structure. Prices vary based on demand and local demographics. This will unfortunately become increasingly more evident as inflation continues to increase. Building materials are currently one of the most highly impacted items right now.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I would add, the supplier I normally use has no birch ply at all. They haven't had any Russian birch in a couple months and the told me they have no idea of future supplies.

The other supplier has some chinese birch ply, last time I was there they said it flies out the door as fast as they get it. The big shops buy whole lifts at a time.

FlyingRon

Ron
That's the problem with Lowe's. How well the store is run and how well the customers are treated is entirely autonomous with the local store manager. If you complain to corporate you just get redirected to the store manager. I've had good Lowe's managers and I've had bad ones. The one I can't figure out is that the Mooresville store, which is the closest (less than a few miles) to the Lowe's corporate headquarters is the absolutely worst run one in the entire chain.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Dennis is exactly right. I never ask for help anymore I can rarely find anyone so I go on the web and look up the aisle and bin # myself.

Also, checking the stock online is not reliable. Several times I've made the 1 hour round trip "2 in stock" and there is none.

Technical knowledge is hit or miss. There was a guy in plumbing who know his stuff, same with electric, the next time you go he's making keys or in the gardening area.

I refuse to patronize Lowes. Anybody who puts the hardware on the opposite side of the store from lumber is an idiot.

I won't let my wife go to HD, I send her to the Ace hardware over in the next town.

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
Here ya go

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210603-165432_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210603-165432_Facebook.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 131

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS