Hvlp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dnorris1369

Dustin
User
Looking to get into spraying guys. I have a large compressor so wondering if I should just look at guns or a whole system. Looking recommendations on either. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Howbig is your tankDusti? Iwould start with Product #33500 from California air Tools. This is a 2 gun kit for just over 100$. If you want to try one just PM me and youcan come look at mine

Dnorris1369

Dustin
User
05dd75dd1df0d1cca3f4dbafca9113f7.jpg

Dnorris1369

Dustin
User
I don’t plan on spraying much. I only do a few projects a year (when time allows) I’m a hobbyist with two kids wife and self employed so don’t have a lot of spare time. But I do have a big list for future projects lol

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
From the pic of your compressor above, I'd say it is adequate to handle a HVLP gun w/ no issues. That's the same size I have been using for many years, and I spray almost every project.

If you haven't done a lot of HVLP spraying in the past, and are just kinda getting your feet wet (no pun intended), I would suggest one of two routes to get started. First, visit another member w/ a set-up and try it out. Take a quart of the type of finish you would like to spray, along w/ a couple of boards, and see how you like it. If you don't want to use someone else's equipment, buy a cheap HVLP gun at Harbor Freight (under $15 w/ a coupon) and try it at home. I wouldn't consider this a long term solution, but it's a good way to test the waters.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
You may also want to put an oil/water separator on the compressor (or set it up with quick disconnects so that you can throw it in line when you spray). Buy a separate air hose to connect to the separator, and use it only for spraying so that the inside isn't contaminated with oil droplets from the compressor. Compressor/tool oil and spray coatings do not play well together.

If you are novice at spraying, try to save or gather some cardboard boxes of about the size of the items you intend to spray, and practice on them (inside and out) with cheap paint until you get the hang of trigger control and adjusting your spray pattern as needed.

Go

Last edited:

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Biggest issue you're going to face is moisture. It doesn't mix well with solvent based finishes. Water borne finishes will not be an issue.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
So far I've only sprayed shellac with my Rockler sprayer and my biggest problem is impatience. I seem to spray too much on - have to learn to slow down.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have a Fuji "Q-3" turbine & guns. I purchased the system several years ago and it's a great system. I only spray shellac (Sealcoat) so water & alcohol will play together, but not well. My moisture problems seem to be the humid air here in Carolina. My problem with using a spray system is the time spent cleaning up. It's much too easy to use a rattle can of shellac for the small projects I make. However Sealcoat is 2 lb. cut shellac and thins easily. I clean the can and blow alcohol through the gun. When you are ready to spray again blow some more alcohol before starting with the finish. This seems to result in always having a clean gun. I would recommend a Fuji system from my experience with the quality of their equipment and their outstanding customer service & support.

Pop

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have had an Apolo 5000 gun for many years. Built my own turbine, using Ametek Vacuum cleaner motor, bought from Grainger. I mainly spray water based varnish, which costs $50 a gallon. On first cubbie job, saved enough in finish to pay for gun. Couple years back, gun took a bad fall, resulting in the cup assembly being broken. Past week at IWF, found I could order a complete cup assembly for around $60. FYI, Ametek makes most of the turbines used in HVLP systems. What sold me originally on Apolo gun was Gus showing how easy it was to spray the INSIDE of a 6 oz coffee cup.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I wouldn't recommend investing in a turbine unless you plan on doing a lot of spraying with latex paint.

I would just get a purple gun from HF and get your feet wet with that. Keep in mind the 1.4mm tip is not good for thicker paint like latex, but it does quite well with oil based paint and most any finish (water based or oil).

Once you get the thinning and flow dialed in, you're off to the races.

Note: I have good luck using a standard siphon feed type gun. I also bought the HF version. I believe they come in various tips, mine is 2.0mm. They do take a lot more air tho and lots of overspray.

Which brings up another point about using a respirator and ventilation.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have several of the HF $9.99 specials (purple ones.) I use them to spray oil based paint on handrails. Very little over spray, but you do thin quite a bit.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My son and a buddy used the HF purple gun to paint his old truck. Actually they started with it and then the buddy decided to upgrade before they put the final coats on. Both thought the better gun was significantly better, but the HF worked. I think I still have one or two around but I haven't sprayed with them.

I used to use a Wagner conversion gun with a little Bostitch compressor that has a 6 gallon tank. That worked but I often had to wait on the compressor. It was also hard to get all the settings right. I typically left the regulator on the tank set high - as high as the 90 psi I use for nail guns - and dropped it to 10-20 at the gun. But then you still have an air adjustment on the gun and the fluid feed adjustment. I still have the wagner but I don't use it.

I use my Fuji mini-mite 3 stage. I spray only water based and have two cups for it. Between coats I spray straight water to flush out the gun. I cap the cut with finish and just reattach it when ready to go on the next coat. Three coats in a day are easy. I mess with the air and fluid and spray pattern but I find something that works a lot easier than with the Wagner. Hard to say how much of my problem with the Wagner was lack of sufficient air, however.

Since you have the air, I'd get a separator and a cheaper gun (Wagner is on the order of $100) and give it a try. Even the really cheap HF is worth having. But, as with many tools, money makes a significant difference. The atomization from my Fuji is better than I've ever gotten from cheaper guns. With great atomization, it becomes easier to get a decent wet coat with minimal orange peel. I painted a bathroom cabinet recently, inside and out. I had not used the Fuji in 5 plus years. I got it set up and the end result is pretty good, at least for me. It's white so it's harder to see orange peel but it isn't bad. I had to paint it with most surfaces vertical so that adds difficulty. I would have had more trouble with my cheaper guns.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Just ordered an Earlex Sprayport from Highland Hardware. 2 stage turbine with gun and tip. Ordered an extra larger tip in case I decide to do some latex spraying. On sale which made my decision easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS