HVLP Recommendations

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
Looking for recommendations on an HVLP that can spray latex as well as other thin finishes. I have several projects upcoming and it is time to upgrade to a quality system. Looking at the Graco TC Pro as well as Earlex systems. Open to suggestions from those who have a system.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
HVLP is not a good application for latex. Sure, you can thin it, but youre not going to get the best finish IMO. I have a Fuji system and I have sprayed latex with it, sometimes successful, sometimes not.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Likewise of the opinion that HVLP is not the ideal delivery system. I have a Lemmer HVLP that I enjoy, but used a an airless for house painting.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a Devilbuss Finishline HVLP gravity fed gun. With a 2.2 tip it can spray latex nicely. I do normally add about 5% Floetrol to help the paint flowout. You will need a 3 HP or better air compressor.

Strom

New User
Strom
My two cents. I just sprayed 9 sets of plantation shutters from primer to finish with a $14.00 HVLP gun from HF. They came out beautifully. This requires a good compressor but the secret is the paint. A friend put me on it and I'm passing it on. Will never use straight latex again except with a brush.
The paint is Ben Moores ADVANCE. Don't asK me how but they have made an oil paint with all the benefits of latex and none of the problems. Try it you will love the result. No thinning pour from the can to the gun. I used a alcohol primer from Sherwin Williams white pigmented shellac which dried instantly and sanded great.
Have a turbine but don't use it because it is so awkward.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
My two cents. I just sprayed 9 sets of plantation shutters from primer to finish with a $14.00 HVLP gun from HF. They came out beautifully. This requires a good compressor but the secret is the paint. A friend put me on it and I'm passing it on. Will never use straight latex again except with a brush.
The paint is Ben Moores ADVANCE. Don't asK me how but they have made an oil paint with all the benefits of latex and none of the problems. Try it you will love the result. No thinning pour from the can to the gun. I used a alcohol primer from Sherwin Williams white pigmented shellac which dried instantly and sanded great.
Have a turbine but don't use it because it is so awkward.

Strom, could you elaborate on that last bit? Is there a product name for that?

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I have a Devilbuss Finishline HVLP gravity fed gun. With a 2.2 tip it can spray latex nicely. I do normally add about 5% Floetrol to help the paint flowout. You will need a 3 HP or better air compressor.
I have never sprayed Latex with mine, but have the model before yours. Have used it for over 15 years and it still works like new, takes a few minutes to clean.
I just sprayed over 40 cabinet doors with Sherwin Williams CV industrial primers and coatings in white yesterday and they look like an automotive finish in texture but Satin. Took me minutes for each door.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS