HVLP Gun Between Coats

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
What's the best way to store an HVLP gun between coats of paint without a full cleaning as I wait for the first coat to dry before applying the second coat of paint, hoping to leave the extra paint in the hopper ready to spray when first coat is dry. Interior Latex paint is what I'm using. And is there a time limit before I just need to break down and clean the gun between coats?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
When spraying water based finishes, I have an extra cup that I fill with warm water and spray it (outside); cover the paint cup with plastic wrap. When I am ready for the second coat, I just switch cups and the cleaned gun is ready to go.

When all done, I disassemble the gun a clean.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Best to flush the gun as Wayne said. As a minimum, remove/clean the spray cap and submerge the nose of the gun in water/solvent to prevent the coating from drying on tip and clogging all the orifices. This applies to all types of coatings except epoxies and component polyurethanes. For them you need to thoroughly flush the gun before the coating catalyzes.

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
I do very little and have no seen any issues. I'll depressurize, scrap the tip and walk away. Once I am done for the day, I will dissemble and clean with hot water and soap. I've not run any oil based products through yet.

Wally

New User
Wally
When spraying water based finishes, I have an extra cup that I fill with warm water and spray it (outside); cover the paint cup with plastic wrap. When I am ready for the second coat, I just switch cups and the cleaned gun is ready to go.

joec

joe
User
I only spray lacquer finishes (new to this type of finishing) and have only done 3 or 4 projects. I clean and flush the gun after each spray, even though I plan on spraying another coat in just a few hours. I would love to be able to leave the gun partially full until the next coat, but have not taken that chance so far.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member

This is what I've been doing at this point, have a Fuji HVLP system but only one gun/cup so I just dump the paint out of cup back into can, and then spray water thru till it comes out clean. When done for day breakdown and clean gun. Seems to work.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Depends on the amount of time. I mostly use water based products, most commonly, SW Kem Aqua Plus which dries so quickly it is not worth taking the cup off and making more mess. So I pack a wet wad of paper towel or rag to the front of the air cap and set it on its stand. Sometimes, if I have a lot of pieces to spray, by the time I get to the end the first ones are almost dry enough for second coat. I also use the Dekups system with my Devilbiss guns

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Willemjm or @AllanD can you post a picture or link to the the Devilbiss gun and the DeCups (if those have to be purchased separately) I have searched, but there seem to be a few versions and it is not clear how the DeCups work... ( heading to YT to see if there is a good video)

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
@Willemjm or @AllanD can you post a picture or link to the the Devilbiss gun and the DeCups (if those have to be purchased separately) I have searched, but there seem to be a few versions and it is not clear how the DeCups work... ( heading to YT to see if there is a good video)
My gun was the version Finishline 3, purchased it 18 years ago and has done countless jobs. It shows no wear, still perfect, Phil has the version 4, ask him for a review.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I only shoot dewaxed 2 lb. cut shellac (Sealcoat). I clean the cup & flush with alcohol. Then I put it up until next time. Works well for me. When I have to shoot poly (oil based) I give the gun a complete cleaning. To avoid this cleaning I paint poly rather than spray.

Pop

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
My gun was the version Finishline 3, purchased it 18 years ago and has done countless jobs. It shows no wear, still perfect, Phil has the version 4, ask him for a review.

I know Phil likes his Devilbiss as he has mentioned it many times - you spoke about the DeCups and the storage of material until you can get to a second coat... and that is VERY enticing! (thanks for the vid!)

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I only shoot dewaxed 2 lb. cut shellac (Sealcoat). I clean the cup & flush with alcohol. Then I put it up until next time. Works well for me. When I have to shoot poly (oil based) I give the gun a complete cleaning. To avoid this cleaning I paint poly rather than spray.

Pop
With the system I posted, throwing away the liner and cleaning the gun takes less time than cleaning a paint brush. I guess, unless it is a disposable paint brush and a disposable paint container.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Willemjm the video only mentioned water-based material can you not use oil-based products?

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
@Willemjm the video only mentioned water-based material can you not use oil-based products?
I use the little inline filter for water based and everything else not the disk. It can spray anything. I try to only use solvent based materials which dry to the touch in 15 minutes and can be sanded in 30 minutes. The advantage being that the entire finish job including drying times is around 2 hours and by the time the overspray reaches the floor it is dust, meaning I can spray inside the shop.

The last job the Local Sherwin Williams store would no longer supply me with pre-cat lacquer in dark colors, we can now only get that from their industrial division. Due to time constraints I had to use their water based Urethane. 4 Hours drying time. What should have taken 1/2 day took 2 days. Had to this outside, as the overspray remains wet.

Picture below.

DB2CD916-1D3B-4D0A-9DF5-2245BF5FBB4A.jpeg

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use a Fuji mini mite 3 to spray water based finishes (sometimes, have been using Osmo recently). I also have two cups and put water in the unlined one to flush the gun a bit between coats. I bought some inexpensive plastic covers that go into the cups between coats. So the finish cup does not get emptied until I am done. The water in the other cup does not get things into it while it is waiting to be used. At the end, I spray several times with water to do a more through flush.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Here is a photo of the DeKups system I have Hank. There are three sizes of cups, 9, 24, and 34 oz. I think. There is a reusable cup holder and top. The disposable are a liner and top. You do need to order the adapter that screws into the top of your gravity gun, they make a variety. I think I got my stuff from Autobody Toolmart. If I was doing it over I don't think I would order the 9 oz size. The larger ones can be used with smaller amounts and are thrown away anyway.

Attachments

• 5BVFlpHoRyq1y0i9+0JUKQ.jpg
    5BVFlpHoRyq1y0i9+0JUKQ.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 156
  • m0a7kmPXS1utqUfHrilOJw.jpg
    m0a7kmPXS1utqUfHrilOJw.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 150

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS