HVLP - don't laugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Anybody out there had experience of the $99 HVLP unit at Rockler? the web seems to be full of very vaque reviews not really saying whether it's good or bad. Most seem to be spraying paint with it

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
David,
I can't comment about that specific gun but that won't stop me from offering thoughts anyway.:lol: Let me say first that I own quite a few "lower end" tools that are "good enough" for my purposes. IMHO going cheap here is pence wise and pound foolish. This is the end of the process and problems here are difficult and expensive to fix. You want a gun that atomizes effectively and lays down an even distribution of finish. You don't want something that sputters, drips and leaks. You also want a gun that will last and can be "rebuilt" over and over again with time. I think I paid less than $200 for my
smaller Walcom gun and in the mid $200's for my Asturo. You can pay a lot more for really fine guns but those prices will get you in the mid range and give you a really good quality gun that you'll have for many years.

From www.homesteadfinishing.com

Asturo BBS HVLP - We purchased the complete inventory of the US distributor and got a terrific bargain which we're passing along to our customers. Now you can get famous Italian design and spray quality for under 200.00. Price includes gun, wall holder, service wrench, special gravity cleaning brush and our QualSpray Cleaning Kit for the rest of the gun parts. This gun comes with the original warranty and carton and all guns are checked out thoroughly before shipment. A really sweet deal!
bbs_hvlp_1000cc.jpg
Body: nickel plated
Nozzle/springs: stainless steel
Air cap: nickel plated
Gaskets: Teflon
Cup: aluminum, 1000cc with drip-proof vent hole. (Includes wall mount cup holder). Other cup types available but in limited supply.
Working
: 17 psi (at gun inlet)
Air Consumption: 7 cfm
Needle/nozzle/air caps: available in 1.5, 1.9
(other sizes available at extra cost.)

Price - $189.00 (List 270.00)

would be a great option if you have a large enough compressor. I can run my Walcom STM with a pancake compressor and it is currently about $220.

Last edited:

DavidF

New User
David
I don't have a compressor yet, but may go that way as there could be one at work I can use. I like the idea of a complete turbine HVLP package from a noise point of view and compact size. I have no other uses for a compressor at the moment, but if that is the best way to go then so be it, but the turbine appeals; however, there seems to be nothing much between the $99 rockler and $750 apollo or similar, but top budget would be $200 ish

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
SteveColes said:
When you say pancake compressor, you mean like the PC that sell with a one or two nailers?
Yes, mine is the Porter Cable. I also have a large compressor for my bigger gun.

David,
To get a decent turbine unit you will spend the same money as a compressor and conversion gun. For decent performance you need a three stage unit. Both turbines and conversion have their merits; I personally like the additional use I get from the compressor for other things. I even drive NAILS occaisonally8-O .

DavidF

New User
David
The compressor I MAY have is a 20 Gallon 11.5 CFM unit oil less, belt drive - good enough?

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
If it will deliver 7 CFM at 17 PSI then you are good to go for the larger gun. If you call Jeff Jewitt at Homestead, he'll verify that the gun will work for your compressor setup and also recommend the appropriate nozzle tip for the finishes you will spray.

DavidF

New User
David
LVLP - why??

Hey Woodguy,

I was browsing the homestead finishing forum and vanguard was asking about LVLP as opposed to HVLP did he ever buy a LVLP gun? what do you know about them? I am looking at the Asturo gun at $189 see steveD posting above, but see a lot of ads for the astro LVLP guns.

Anybody else out here know anything about LVLP? from what I read the only drawback appears to be speed of transfer, which may not be a bad thing for a beginner

Mountaincraft

New User
William
CFM x PSI relates somewhat to power. Depending on the gun, HVLP conversions can be used with 4 cfm @ 90 psi compressers with patience. I am unaware of a pancake that does this.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I used to make pancakes every Sunday morning, and yes, you are right, it is extremely difficult to get them to produce 4cfm @ 90psi. Go well with Vermont maple syrup tho!

DavidF

New User
David
The question I cannot seem to find an answer to is: assuming you have a big enough compressor to run HVLP why WOULN'T you go with a LVLP gun. I have read a number of articals relating to some states insisting auto body shops go towards LVLP to reduce environmental issues, but nobody has definitively said " I wouldn't buy LVLP because....." I have a big enough compressor to use HVLP, but, LVLP guns are cheaper and even Jeff Jewitt has one for sale, but again doesn't say anything about it.

This seems to one of those subjects where everybody on the web has an opinion, but not backed up by any evidence and the subject is sort of "skirted around"

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I learned to spray using HVLP guns on cars years ago during a re-enlistment school option. I enjoyed it, and transfer rates were pretty good, but it would wear you out shooting a bigger car. If LVLP has a slower rates of application, I could see where body shops may not like it, but it would seem ideal in smaller doses, like WW projects.

don't forget to put a filter on your line!

Last edited:

DavidF

New User
David
I understand that acually the spray tanning game was part of the introduction of LVLP! but seriously, pete you make a point, if I am mainly doing the smaller projects - biggest would be something like a dining table, wouldn't the "gentler" nature of LVLP be better? what I would want to avoid is having to thin EVERY finish I use just for the gun to handle it. If somebody out there can definitively say "yep, you will need to thin everything except water" then LVLP will be out of the loop and I can relax and buy HVLP.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
DavidF said:
I understand that acually the spray tanning game was part of the introduction of LVLP!

Darn, you mean some guys got to spray scantily clad women? and all I got to spray were dirty old cars????:crybaby2:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I suspect (don't know) that the technology is not mature enough yet. HVLP has now been out for a few years and has been refined and improved substantially. I remember when HVLP first came out there were no conversion guns. Now you see them everywhere.

I haven't answered your questions, but if I were you, if I had decided on LVLP I would buy the best gun I could afford that way it would have the latest and greatest features and last awhile. If you buy a cheaper one, it will probably be a bit older technology and not have the features and possibly not give as good a results. I have seen a lot of positive press on cheaper HVLP conversion guns including Wagner (which I find hard to believe), but LVLP is still new and hasn't been adopted too well. My .02.

DavidF

New User
David
I will hope for further enlightenment.

Pete - Oh, you thought I was going to be spraying furniture???;-)

Phil

New User
Phil Capper
i've used hvlp units from just about everyone and across the $ board and the results I've gotten from the Wagner Fine Coat unit is hard to beat. It does a great job from laquer to latex. I used to build plant stands for a catalog company (in the thousands) and used the fine coat for spraying latex and urethane for all of them. It never gave me any trouble until I stepped on the hose one too many times.
Phil

DavidF

New User
David
Thanks Phil,

Probably going to go with the Asturo BBS gun as such good value, but if they are all gone, may go with your suggestion.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
David,
I have seen good reviews on the Wagner as well and it's good to see that Phil has actual experience with it. The only thing that concerns me about their setup is the very large number of reconditioned ones that are available for sale. It seems odd there would be that many out there of this type of product unless they have QC issues.

DavidF

New User
David
The compressor is in and installed - a real beut! still researching the gun. Bernhard put me off the gravity feed Asturo gun and suggested I look at pressure pot equiv. I borrowed a turbine sprayer and will be trying that this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS