HVAC Needs Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Gee, we bought a house that isn't from the Victorian era, and yet I find that I still have a money pit on my hands!:kamahlitu

My 18-year-old gas pack has thrown its last BTU of heat so I am in the process of replacing it. I plan on staying with gas for the heat as much as possible, so my main area of question is this:

The tech I've brought in to evaluate and install the system deals with Trane and Heil equipment. I'm not as familiar with Heil (I'm assuming it's a different company from the one that makes truck trailers), but Trane is a pretty familiar name to me. Do any of you have experience -- good or bad -- with either make? What are your general opinions of these two?

I will add that the Heil seems to have the better warranty at first glance, but Trane is offering rebates. Hmmm.:icon_scra

Anyway, it looks like the tool and wood budget are gonna be SOL for a while here.:gar-Cr

:kermit: Steve

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
If you go w/Trane make sure you get their XL line and not the XB (builder's) line. Look for a scroll type compressor and make sure the installation tech checks all tubes for rubbing points that will cause leaks over time. Try to negotiate a 10 yr parts and labor up front (which they will try to add in later at a higher cost...cars sales technique) into the package and look at the size of filter you will need. Some of their filters are proprietary sized and add unneeded cost.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Hi Steve,
I can't speak to the Heil but we replaced our 20 yr old Trane with a new Trane XL about 3 years ago. We have had no problems with the new one and only normal maintenance issues with the one that lasted 20 yrs. We decided to replace the old one because the burners finally rusted and we had added living space and needed more capacity...Didn't want to spend the money on burners for an inadequate unit.
Good luck on your decision.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I spent a lot of time researching HVAC for a community I am doing in Fayetteville. After all is said and done, there isn't much difference in the equipment. The difference is in the company name and their reputation. In the building business we know that some brands are less desirable than others because of public perception. Buy the brand that you can get the best deal on and, remember, business is tight right now, so go for the jugular. Nothing is sacred and you can pretty much name your deal. Keep asking for add-ons until you reach the breaking point with your contractor. By add-ons I am referring to filter grills, electronic filters, warranties, etc.

RayH

New User
Ray
Steve,

We are about 2 1/2 years into a new house and a Trane system and have had no problems. The minimum rating (I beleive it is SEER) increased from 10 to 13 a year or so ago on anything installed in new construction -- don't know about retrofits. We found that the Trane XL14i compressor when used with a variable speed furnace/air handler is rated at 14-15 and carries a basic 10 year warranty vice the standard 5.

Possibly the dealer you buy from and who installs is as important as the brand name. Our last 3 systems (two houses and an add-on) have been done by Blinson in Raleigh. We have been very pleased with the sales, installations, and routine servicing. They have delivered as promised with no surprises or last minute add-ons.

I understand that the building slow-down is really hurting the HVAC contractors who have relied only on new construction. They are offering some fantastic prices (just making expenses) but may be cutting some corners to pay the rent.

Hope this helps,:eusa_pray
RayH

Steve W

New User
Steve
Well, I'm tending to take the advice here. My contractor is one that came recommended by a friend and it appears that he's cutting the prices as much as he can. I've also been appreciating that he started out with me by spec'ing the lowest price unit, saying that my utility bills would take a long time to pay back the higher efficiency units. He seems to be listening and working with me to get what I want.
Mark, I appreciate your mention of the XB vs the XL. I suspected that there was some difference there, and you're probably right, as Trane will offer a 10-year on the XL but only 5 on the XB. That tells me something right there.
The quote I'm working on right now looks like around $4300 for a 3-ton with XL14 with gas pack plus $500 for a 10-year parts & labour warranty. That seems to be reasonable to me but what are your collective experiences? These things are different from what a transplanted Yankee has experience with :eusa_thin

Thanks for all the input, folks!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
My HVAC guy quoted me $7,000 for a similar deal ~8 months ago and I said no way, just fix the 11 y/o York and we'll see if we can make it. Maybe I need to call him back:eusa_thin

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Steve,

What does it mean when you say XL14 with gas pack? Is that just a gas furnace or a heat pump with gas as a dual fuel set up?

Thanks.
Bill

John Reeves

New User
John Reeves
BTW, When he takes the old system out be sure to get the fan and motor assembly. You can do lots of things with it as they usually last a lot longer than the burners. I have two. One powers my spray booth the other powers my air cleaner.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Oh, yeah, John -- you were reading my mind. :widea:

Joe Scharle did a big filter with an old blower and I saw what he did! I was thinking about it anyway. Mine's a 240V motor but it should run at 120 at half speed or I can just hook it up to my 240 outlet. I asked him if he needed the blower when he takes the old unit away and he said no -- go ahead and cannibalise.:mrgreen:

It looks like this saga will be over by the end of next week. I feel good that: (a) the heat didn't die until May (so we didn't freeze to death in January) and (b) we're getting this done before the real cooling season begins. If it had to be, then it happened at the perfect time.

Thanks, all, for your ideas and suggestions. I know I can count on getting good responses on here!:icon_thum

Bryan S

Bryan
Steve I dont know about the different brands but we have done business with Alamance Heating and Air owned by Earl Godwin for around 20 years and have never had any regrets. He is a great guy, stands by his work and will not sell you anything you do not need. His # is 584-9663.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS