Hurricane Safety and Prep.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Guys and Gals,

I know Dorian will come by you ... so take some simple prep precautions:

1. Make sure you have your docs and pictures/mementos secured and safe from flooding and other potential damage.
2. Know where the high ground is in your area (hopefully it is where your house is), and the route to get there.
3. Of course have the essentials like power, food, water .... etc stocked for a at least a week.
4. Know others around you and their contacts.
5. Have a plan should family get separated.... e.g. how to contact each other, a common relative in another state that can coordinate info, and a rendezvous point if you do get in a flood situation

Finally, remember, the hurricane real damage is in the flooding and the down trees ....... the rain can be relentless and long ......so if this does happen have your hand tool projects ready so you can finally complete them ............ :p :) :cool:

Stay safe .............

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
I live in Sea Level unfortunately at sea level. We're still in the repair stage due to Florence. The roof, siding and windows are repaired but the floors are still in plywood stage and the duct work is still laying on the ground. Hope Dorian will turn a little more to the East but it's not looking good.
Tony.

Last edited:

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Spent 25 years ibn the insurance claims business, so I stay prepared for these occasions. Have some cash on hand in case power is down; get a full tank of propane for your grill for cooking; batteries for flash lights; make sure prescriptions are filled.
Hopefully we only get some rain and wind. Stay safe folks.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I am in Lexington, SC and thus not near the coast but yesterday as Dorian passed we had nearly no impacts. Less than an inch of rain and wind speeds no higher than 30 mph. Impacts increase rapidly as you move towards the coast, however. A coworker is off checking on his property on the shore in Beaufort right now. A neighbor said they had 60 mph winds and their power is out. The east side of Columbia got a lot more rain than we did on the west.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I've checked with my daughter several times over the past several days (to be sure she was prepared) and most recently about 9 this morning. She lives near the head of White Oak Bay in Stella, about 5 miles from Swansboro and less than 10 miles from Cape Carteret and Emerald Island. She had lots of heavy rain and strong winds, but unlike Hurricane Florence a year ago, she did not sustain any visible damage and even did not lose power. A small tornado did touch down and damaged a house about 500 yards south of her, but so far she and my grandson are fine (he's driving her nuts, to be honest!). They have food, water, power and emergency suplies, so they intend to stay put until they need to get out to see any area damage.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
That's awesome to hear ..........

I've checked with my daughter several times over the past several days (to be sure she was prepared) and most recently about 9 this morning. She lives near the head of White Oak Bay in Stella, about 5 miles from Swansboro and less than 10 miles from Cape Carteret and Emerald Island. She had lots of heavy rain and strong winds, but unlike Hurricane Florence a year ago, she did not sustain any visible damage and even did not lose power. A small tornado did touch down and damaged a house about 500 yards south of her, but so far she and my grandson are fine (he's driving her nuts, to be honest!). They have food, water, power and emergency suplies, so they intend to stay put until they need to get out to see any area damage.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
We had most of the vinyl siding and some of the shingles blown off of one end of the garage when the wind shifted from the SE to the NW. Spent several days moving stuff out of the garage into the house with large amounts of time spent with ice bags on the couch. Luckily we only had a small amount of the front and back yard flooded this time. Still no power but I haven’t been anywhere to see how much damage the power grid received.
Tony

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
We had most of the vinyl siding and some of the shingles blown off of one end of the garage when the wind shifted from the SE to the NW. Spent several days moving stuff out of the garage into the house with large amounts of time spent with ice bags on the couch. Luckily we only had a small amount of the front and back yard flooded this time. Still no power but I haven’t been anywhere to see how much damage the power grid received.
Tony
Tony glad to hear you are OK and damage was minimal this time.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS