Hurricane Michael downed Red Oak and Hickory, any takers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodfinch

New User
Ian
We lost two large trees during Hurricane Michael, both are at least 80 years old and are old growth. If I had a saw I would be attempting to cut them and using them myself; but I do not have a saw and really have not used a saw for anything so large so I figured I would offer them up here to see if anyone would be interested in them. I would upload pictures but my internet appears to be too slow to upload here as I had it uploading for an hour and it did not go through. Ideally I would love someone to take most of the wood but leave a few blanks for me to turn, a cross section, and possibly wood to make a dinning room table if there is enough. I am very new so I am not sure how much wood one will be able to get out of these trees so I may be asking for too much, if so I am sure we can work something out!

Thanks,
Ian

LastChanceWoodshop

New User
Jason
Ian,

Can you pull a measurement on the diameter of the trunk and the length of the straight portion of the oak?; Pictures would be helpful as well.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I would upload pictures but my internet appears to be too slow to upload here as I had it uploading for an hour and it did not go through.

It sure shouldn't take that long to upload. Did you try reloading the upload page or try to upload again later in the day? A slow upload usually means that the server is busy.

woodfinch

New User
Ian
The red oak has a 2.5' diameter and has around 50' of straight, you could probably go even farther but I prefer to underestimate then over. If you have an email or number you want me to send pictures to that is no problem, but my upload speed is .1 mbps and doesn't seem to want to upload onto the site.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
There are tables online to estimate the bf in a tree trunk. How about the hickory tree too?

woodfinch

New User
Ian
The hickory was 2' diameter and at least 55' straight. According to the tables that is at least 1,300 bf for the hickory and at least 2,000 bf for the red oak. Sounds like a good amount of wood to me if anyone is interested!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The hickory was 2' diameter and at least 55' straight. According to the tables that is at least 1,300 bf for the hickory and at least 2,000 bf for the red oak. Sounds like a good amount of wood to me if anyone is interested!

Where in the heck did you find those numbers for only 2 trees? It can't be correct!

Scott Smith (sawyer) will comment with the real numbers.

woodfinch

New User
Ian
Where in the heck did you find those numbers for only 2 trees? It can't be correct!

Scott Smith (sawyer) will comment with the real numbers.

I just used the first calculator I found on google and that is what it said, it had three different scales and I just took the one that had the least. I look forward to seeing the actual numbers

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ian, Those numbers sound a bit high. Typically the only log material for woodworking is harvested from the butt logs closest to the ground. Most trees branch out between 20- 40', and above the branch area the lumber is of poor quality.

Log calculators determine board footage based upon the length of the log and the diameter at the small end. So if you had a 20' log you would usually measure the diameter at the small end and at the halfway point, and then run the calculations as two 10' logs. This will provide a more accurate yield estimate due to the taper present in the log.

If you can post some pix showing the bottom 30' or so of the trees I can walk you through the process of determining the usable board footage.

Regards,

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors