Humidor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I'm planning on making a humidor. I have some old growth pine that I got from Anchor Hardwoods (recovered from the Cape Fear river) that has some really interesting grain...plus it would be cool to make something from ~100 yr old wood. Would this work for the case if I line the interior with Spanish cedar?

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
I'm planning on making a humidor. I have some old growth pine that I got from Anchor Hardwoods (recovered from the Cape Fear river) that has some really interesting grain...plus it would be cool to make something from ~100 yr old wood. Would this work for the case if I line the interior with Spanish cedar?

From what I have seen out there I think you will be fine. The heart of the humidor is the Spanish Cedar. Can't wait to see that.. I've been thinking of building one for my brother as well at some point.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Preston,

Most old growth pine is loaded with resin, and the resin odor is quite powerful. I would be concerned that if the pine were unfinished on the inside this odor would penetrate the rather porous Spanish cedar, lending an undesirable aroma and flavor to the cigars. For that reason, I would finish the inside and outside of the box with varnish or poly before inserting the Spanish cedar. I have only built one humidor, so I am not an expert, and others may offer a more experienced opinion. Also, I am not a cigar smoker, and I am just assuming that a pine resin flavor in a cigar would not be welcome. Of course, anyone who is puffing on burning leaves may find that the turpentine bouquet adds an interesting depth and complexity. :wwink::gar-La;

Hope this helps.

Matt

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Preston,

Most old growth pine is loaded with resin, and the resin odor is quite powerful....

Matt

That's what I was worried about. The pine is 4/4 so I will have to resaw/plane it down which will expose even more of the resin. It's for my son, so maybe I'll have him pick out another piece of wood.

FlyingRon

Ron
That's what I was worried about. The pine is 4/4 so I will have to resaw/plane it down which will expose even more of the resin. It's for my son, so maybe I'll have him pick out another piece of wood.

You might seal the inside (you want it fairly "humidity-tight" anyhow) of the pine before lining it.
I can tell you that you definitely do NOT want odd woods on the inside. I got one donated humidor which is not lined with cedar and it does impart an odd aroma to things (not sure if it's persistent once you light up, but the cigars do pick it up).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS