Humidity in shop FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
I went to Home Depot the other night and bought a small digital thermometer/humidity guage. After a day in my shop the humidity was at a staggering 88%.
redface.gif

I'm not sure what anyone else's unheated/uncooled shop is at. But I think it is a little high.

Would a window A/C unit dehumidify enough?

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I had the same problem in my little shop so purchased a 110v window unit. Just enough to take some of the humidity out & cool it down some. It has done the trick. I have a lot less of a problem with rust on my tools. I think you will be happy if you get a small unit. This time of year they are likely on sale.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Last summer I bought a used Kenmore dehumidifier from an individual who just had central air installed in his house. He asked $45 for the unit that was a few years old but looked new.
I only run it at night since I have a large overhead door open during the day. In the morning the shop feels dry and cool (it's insulated) and I haven't experienced any problems with rust. I empty the bucket on the flowers.
If this unit were to fail, I'd buy another without hesitation. By the way, the shop is approx double car garage size and is free standing.
Roy

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Ray,

The dewpoint (temperature at which the Relative Humidity(RH) is 100%) has been very high. Yesterday it was in the mid 70's. Inside most airconditioned space the dewpoint is in the 40's. So if your shop is not air conditioned and the temperature in there is in the 80's, 80-90% RH is the lowest you will see. The cooler it is in there (without a/c or a dehumidifier) the higher the RH will be. This high dewpoint thing is what makes "the weak grow strong and the strong grow great" here in the Old North State.:lol: Must be time for football camp!

Mark (sweating and swatting in Concord)

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
mike_wood said:
I had the same problem in my little shop so purchased a 110v window unit. Just enough to take some of the humidity out & cool it down some. It has done the trick. I have a lot less of a problem with rust on my tools. I think you will be happy if you get a small unit. This time of year they are likely on sale.

I saw 5000BTU units in stock at Sam's Club last week for about $80 (I can't remember the exact cost but it was in the $80). The unit was the physically smallest 5000BTU unit I have ever seen.

Monty

New User
Monty
In my basement shop the RH stays between 50-55% for the most part. I have seen it as high as 75%. If it gets any higher than 55-60% I run the dehumidifier.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
I have been thinking about the same thing (windows unit for garage shop). I had a look at CraigsList and found serveral from small 5000 BTU models to beefier on like this http://raleigh.craigslist.org/for/184706130.html.

On CraigsList, I simply searched for 'Air Conditioner' since I had no idea where they would stash them.

Let us know what you choose and how it works.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I have a heat and air window unit in my 20 x 20 shop that works very well. I have insulated ceilings and walls. Can't look at the electric bill, leave that to my husband, but I will say the unit has been a lifesaver for me. It cools down quickly and remains comfortable. Haven't had any problems with humidity, maybe that is the insulation.

Travis

New User
Travis
I am able to dehumidfy 2,000 square foot basement to 60% with a 70 pint/day capacity Kenmore. It is a new house and ran all of the time for the first three weeks but seams to have caught up with the moisture this week. I am considering dialing it down to 55% but wonder if that low is really needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS