Howdy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Stokes

New User
Alex
Hi! My dear friend Canuck has been telling me for more than a year now that I needed to get up on here and join you folks. I think he's just tired of being my sole source of advice and instruction on woodworking basics like plugging in the saw and using the broom - lol Well I finally finished my most recent project... but I don't quite see how you attach a picture... (I'll keep looking)

I'm a retired Marine, a former Harrier pilot, blessed with a really good job flying very long haul for Fedex on their Boeing 777s now, and I really like making wood chips and occasionally something useful when I'm home. I turned the bonus money one year into wood working equipment instead of a sports car, and have been busy learning pretty much everything the hard way ever since :) My wood shop is the one car garage in my 40 year old house, but you know... everything fits. Doing something just takes some thought. It's kinda like shaving with shaving cream in a mug, a straight razor, and a leather strop - nothing happens real fast. But the process is very... relaxing :) As an added bonus, I live next door to Canuck, and he's darn good company and patient with most of my exceptionally silly questions. He also keeps pointing me at projects I need to do, so I've got work for the next year and a half that I want to get done :) Also... I have a lot of questions! No laughter please - well not too much at any rate?

Thanks for having me and I'm pleased to meet you all :)

Alex

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
For the best way of uploading and inserting photos, please refer to this tutorial: How to add a picture to your post.

Admittedly, as we are in the process of reworking our Articles section, this article is a bit difficult to locate right now if you do not know it is there. I'm sure that this will be corrected in the near future, however.

Simply upload the photo to your Gallery (per the tutorial) then use the "My Photos" button (looks somewhat like a camera) in your editor to select photos from your personal Gallery for insertion into your posts.

You can also, with a little added effort, organize your photos into categorized albums, which makes them easier to locate down the road when your Gallery grows especially large.

Additionally, you may also use the "Insert Image" button (looks kind of like a framed photo) to link to images hosted on an external site -- whether it be your own site or one of the many photo-sharing sites on the web. You can also use this button to "attach" images to a post, but they will not be uploaded to your Gallery where others could view them independent of your post. When you have "Browsed" and selected the correct photo, click the text that is titled "upload photo" (it is something of an invisible button in its default state -- it looks like it is just text, but it really is a submission button) -- your photo will get inserted inline wherever your cursor was at that moment.

All things considered, the first approach of uploading photos to your Gallery is really the most preferred because our members can also view your Gallery independent of whatever post the image may have been uploaded for, if they would like to get a better idea as to what sort of work you have been up to lately.

Welcome to our website and community, we all look forward to your questions and contributions. And, we eagerly await your first photos, whether they be of your shop or your creative works.

PS - An example of a photo inserted from my personal Gallery.

P2090049_small.jpg

View image in gallery

PS - an example of an "Attached" (rather than Gallery) photo.

Attachments

• P2090038_small.jpg
    P2090038_small.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 76

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
welcome Alex and a hearty thanks for serving our fine country..Neighbor here and hope you enjoy the site:)

cpw

New User
Charles
Welcome Alex.

First, thank you for your service to our country.
Second, post some pics so we can see what you do. I hope you learn a lot, and I'm sure you have much wisdom to share with us.

Cheers,
Charles

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Alex,

Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you found our little secret corner of the world.

Thank you for your service to our country.

Tonight (July 26) at 8:00 pm we have a New Member Chat. This gives you a chance to ask questions about woodworking, the website, tools, etc. and get a rapid response. We try to have experienced users join us to help answer questions. We will discuss some of the benefits of joining. I hope you will be able to join us. You never know where the conversation will lead.

I look forward to your future contributions.

Steve H.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Alex. I am glad you listened to Wayne. He is good people. Thanks for your service to our great nation.

rbizieff

New User
Robert
Welcome Alex! thanks for your service!

You'll find the people here are a wonderful resource for help and constructive criticism. I've only been on the forum a few months, and have been impressed with how helpful everyone is and what a great group of people there are here.

Have Canuck help you figure out how to attach pictures ... every one here will tell you we LOVE to see pics of projects, from step-by-step work-in-progress pictures to multiple views of the completed piece!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome, Alex. From a retired Army oxymoron to a retired flying jarhead, you have come to the right place for guidance, answers and inspiration.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Semper Fi Alex! Thank you sir for your service to this great nation! Post pictures of your projects, ask guestions and enjoy.
Great site and better people!
Tim - USN EOD RET

T

toolferone

Welcome to the best corner of the internet in the world! Okay, I might be a bit biased.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Welcome Alex. Do you happen to know the two Deaux brothers? They both fly for FedEx (both ex-Air Force). My brother is married to their sister.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors