How would these chisels best be used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
These are some simple chisels, sold mostly for use inletting parts during the building of a muzzleloader. The picture is a 1/4 inch straight, there are others, obviously.
Low end pricing to say the least,about $12, but the supply company that sells them has a stellar reputation, and the chisels themselves are apparently well regarded by those that own them.
I'm wondering if these would likely be fitted with a handle of some sort, or used bare-handed? Maybe tapped with some kind of small mallet?

chisel-bc_1.jpg

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
If tapping those, I would definitely want to put a handle on them, I could see a brass or maple head get destroyed very quickly. I have found myself doing a lot of hand work lately, sharpening blades and such, and have yet to put a handle on my files. I would think that using tools like this may be reasonable, if doing all hand work - develop some serious callouses on your hands quickly.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I would also put a handle on them. tapping the bare metal would mar any mallet - and/or the chisel end. Holding thin metal trying to get any leverage would eat my hands up.

Len

New User
Len
I don't remember if it was at Old Mystic Seaport, Old Williamsburg, or Old Sturbridge Village, but in my youth I saw a demostration using those types of chisels to inlay the lock and other hardware to a muzzle loader. They were kept VERY sharp, and manipulated strictly by hand, never tapped at all.

Len

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I don't remember if it was at Old Mystic Seaport, Old Williamsburg, or Old Sturbridge Village, but in my youth I saw a demostration using those types of chisels to inlay the lock and other hardware to a muzzle loader. They were kept VERY sharp, and manipulated strictly by hand, never tapped at all.

Len

That sounds about right, these are sold by a large muzzleloading supply company.

Len

New User
Len
Just to be clear, the rough work was done with larger chisels. These smaller ones were used by hand to clean up around the edges, and get a very exact fit for the lock mechanism, trigger guard, butt plate, etc.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS