How to stop rust on lathe accessories

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
I am learning to turn both green and dry wood into bowls. I am having a problem with lathe tools, particularly my four jaw chuck rusting from the water in the wood. I spray my lathe bed with WD40, stopping the problem there, but I don't want to use oil on the chuck for fear of contaminating the wood.

I thought about spraying the chuck with clear lacquer, but I am not sure how well that will hold up.

What do you experienced turners do?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Johnson wax works the best for me, I have tried alot of things but that works, easy to get and use and try not to have petroleum product introduced when working with wood, those and silicone can causing finishing issues, maybe I am just too ocd on this.

teesquare

T
Senior User
There are several spray on products that are wax based as well. Forgive my lack of remembering their names...AAnd some that are not wax based but do not contain silicone derivatives. I too will use John paste wax most of the time - but a paste wax is not always as user friendly for some uses. Thus - the spray products.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
2nd for Johnsons on bed etc. I use the spray coat protectant on all of my tools as it covers nicely and does not leave a film on projects.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
Johnson's is all I use on all exposed metal surfaces in the shop. A jointer is the oldest tool (~45 years old) and no rust yet.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
Thanks everybody. I use paste wax all the time in the shop for things like table saw and jointer bed, but did not think of it for the lathe, I was concerned that use of the wax on the bed or chuck might cause me to lose my grip.......something my DW has accused me of in the past.

Guess I need to rethink that and give the wax a try.

teesquare

T
Senior User
I am not a fan of wax on parts that move in conjunction with others, such as chucks, gear, etc - only because they can accumulate dust and bind up if not then maintained - because of the wax. Those are places I prefer to use the spray on dry lubricants that do not build up, contain wax or silicones. The bed of the lathe - not so much of a problem. Table saw bed..great waxed...

Last edited:

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
I just ordered some Boeshield T-9 for this very purpose. I picked up a Delta sanding station with a bit of rust. Going to use their rust eater solution and then the T-9 on it and the lathe.

Will update everyone.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
I have t-9 in the shop but use it for long term storage. I don't think the wax deposition would be good for day to day use.

Teesquare-what product are you using? Thought about maybe trying topcoat but I have never used it.

Last edited:

teesquare

T
Senior User
This one is my favorite. After spraying it on, allow it to drip dry, wipe/dab anything left on the surface - or use air nozzle to blow excess off. it works well.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I am learning to turn both green and dry wood into bowls. I am having a problem with lathe tools, particularly my four jaw chuck rusting from the water in the wood. I spray my lathe bed with WD40, stopping the problem there, but I don't want to use oil on the chuck for fear of contaminating the wood.

I thought about spraying the chuck with clear lacquer, but I am not sure how well that will hold up.

What do you experienced turners do?
I don't own a lathe, however I have had great luck keeping tools rust free with Boeshield T-9. A lot of woodworkers use Johnson's past wax with great success, too. WD40 does displace water, but I have never though that it was great at preventing rust.

ssmith

New User
Scott
Paste wax on the jointer and table saw beds. T-9 on items/surfaces where a spray makes more sense.

Also, Starrett (the toolmaker) has come out with spray dry-lube/preservative called M1. It's quite a bit cheaper than T-9, but I haven't tried it yet.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS