How to price air dried walnut

Trey1984

Trey
User
My father in law has some air dried walnut slabs he's wanting to get rid of. They are around 8ft long width varies but think most is 11 to 15 inches wide and.2 1/2 inches to 3 inches thick. I've looked at prices but everything is is kiln dried and actually milled into actual boards. Would it be better to leave it in slabs or to cut it up 12/4 stock? It ha been drying for at least 3 years that I know of and I can find out the moisture content. He also willing to cut the slabs into 6/4 stock. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The fact that the species is walnut is enticing to a buyer, but the percentage and location of defects is the foremost consideration to that buyer. Knots, wane, bark, pith channels, sapwood, insect infestation, and other things will define whether the wood is usable for a particular purpose such as furniture. Some walnut conditions can be so bad that it is hardly worth the time it takes to cut it up for firewood. Do some evaluation on grade to save yourself and potential buyers. If these slabs are clear and free from defects, you don't want to leave money on the table you don't have to.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Bob nailed it (I just couldn't resist this easy pun). "If these slabs are clear and free from defects". If defects are observable on either face of 12/4 boards, odds are they will still be there when the boards are resawn, so why go through the effort. Same odds for hidden flaws being exposed when you resaw in advance. Any furniture maker willing to spend the $ for solid walnut stock probably has already spent the money for a bandsaw to do his own resawing. If there is any member who has the experience/knowledge to inspect and grade the lumber as is that would solve a lot of problems for you and NCWW buyers. Do a trade out for the expertise.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
As usual Bob has given a well thought out reply with a lot of valuable information. All things being equal I would be willing to pay more for air dried walnut. I have found it finishes better.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Good walnut is hard to find. If you’ve got thick slabs that will yield 12/4 rift sawn straight-grain leg billets I’d love to have enough to make some cabriole legs for a table. Will pay up for good stuff.

Trey1984

Trey
User
Bob nailed it (I just couldn't resist this easy pun). "If these slabs are clear and free from defects". If defects are observable on either face of 12/4 boards, odds are they will still be there when the boards are resawn, so why go through the effort. Same odds for hidden flaws being exposed when you resaw in advance. Any furniture maker willing to spend the $ for solid walnut stock probably has already spent the money for a bandsaw to do his own resawing. If there is any member who has the experience/knowledge to inspect and grade the lumber as is that would solve a lot of problems for you and NCWW buyers. Do a trade out for the expertise.
My father in law has some air dried walnut slabs he's wanting to get rid of. They are around 8ft long width varies but think most is 11 to 15 inches wide and.2 1/2 inches to 3 inches thick. I've looked at prices but everything is is kiln dried and actually milled into actual boards. Would it be better to leave it in slabs or to cut it up 12/4 stock? It ha been drying for at least 3 years that I know of and I can find out the moisture content. He also willing to cut the slabs into 6/4 stock. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Good walnut is hard to find. If you’ve got thick slabs that will yield 12/4 rift sawn straight-grain leg billets I’d love to have enough to make some cabriole legs for a table. Will pay up for good stuff.
I'm going to go take some pics someone this week of the actual slabs with measurements and I'm pretty positive that all of it is solid and not ate with bugs or rotten. He was going to use one of the slabs to make a bar with. I look at how much sapwood and other stuff that y'all have mentioned and go from there. Thanks

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS