How to Install Hinges ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
How do you install hinges for a cabinet perfectly every time without going through a huge process of setup? There must be some tricks!

I have tried several times now to install doors on a cabinet, but every time the doors don't line up perfectly. The doors are alway slightly crooked and one is high, while the other low ... and it's an obvious mistake. I've tried both piano hinges and regular hinges (like the one in the image below) ... I failed at both! :slap:

TEACH ME OH WISE ONES! :eusa_danc

jl-046.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
For cabinets, I gave up with butt hinges and highly recommend
http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=55&cookietest=1

The adjustability of the Euro hinges can fix almost any alignment problem.
I have actually 8-O had very good luck with those found at Lowe's :icon_thum
I only use butt hinges and other types for small boxes, and I would make a sailor blush while I'm installing them...if only there were 35mmm cup hinges for small boxes :-D :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

Dave:)

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
gotojeremy, making one of these may help. If you get the mortises right, the hinge will sort of fall in place.
HingeMortisingJig.jpg

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Joe, Is that a RotoZip with a pleziglass base so you can use it as a small router in the photo? Is the base homemade or did you buy it? How did you attach it? I have a DeWalt cutout tool I am thinking about mounting a pleziglass base to so I can use 1/4" small router bits in it.

Sorry for the hijack.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Joe, Is that a RotoZip with a pleziglass base so you can use it as a small router in the photo? Is the base homemade or did you buy it? How did you attach it? I have a DeWalt cutout tool I am thinking about mounting a pleziglass base to so I can use 1/4" small router bits in it.

Sorry for the hijack.

I bought an extra base from RotoZip and glued a 4" square of plexiglass centered on it. Hinge size range is 3/4" - 3 1/2". I have a store bought unit for 4" hinges. I have used it to mortise piano hinges by slipping the jig along. It works for rails and doors too.
The jig was made from a mag (see the photo details in my album for more info). I like this one because it mounts to the outside of completed boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS