How to flaten a table top for finishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
Hello,

I have glued up a 52" round table top out of mahagny. After the glue cured, I found the two of the glue lines are not even. What are the best ways to flaten the glue lines? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks and best wishes.

Qui

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I would definitely start off with a card scraper and then move to a smoothing plane. On use of the card scraper, make sure to "feather-out" your scraping so as to not make a noticeable indentation.

Here's a short video from FWW on using a card scraper;

http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=5299

Also remember that a planed or scraped surface is different than a sanded surface...so after all your scraping and smooth planing go over the whole top lightly with 220/320 sandpaper so when you apply your stain and finish it will be even.

Good luck and post a few pics.

Dan C.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
i'm confused now. i would have thought to do the opposite i.e. smoothing plane (very light cuts just to ease/ even the edges) followed by the card scraper to remove any plane tracks????

either way, +1 for the scraper/ plane method

A belt sander would also work, but IMO, they tend to be so aggressive at times, that you could open the door to a lot more work if you aren't careful.

Sam

jmauldin

New User
Jim
You didn't mention how much difference there is. That would determine what method to use. If it is slight, then scraping, sanding, etc. would work. However, if it is significant, by the time you get it flat you could loose too much of the overall thickness of the top. If it is significant, the only correct way would be to either break the glue joint or cut it along the glue line and re-glue.
Jim in Mayberry

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
Thanks all for the great ideas. I used a comobinations of planing and sanding. I am getting there gradually. I will post pictures once the table is done.

Regards.

Qui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS