How to figure header size for double door

Status
Not open for further replies.

reprosser

New User
Rick
I am building a finishing room in my shop, and I need to install a 60" double door. I checked around on the web, but it seems to be real complicated to determine the size of the header.

I plan to store stuff (not lumber) overhead, but it will not be a 2nd floor - just storage.
I figure a 2x12 sandwich would certainly be enough, but probably overkill...

Suggestions?

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
A double 2x8 is plenty including the overkill factor assuming that you aren't bearing rafters or ceiling joists. If the header runs parallel to the rafters there really isn't any load to speak of.

reprosser

New User
Rick
A double 2x8 is plenty including the overkill factor assuming that you aren't bearing rafters or ceiling joists. If the header runs parallel to the rafters there really isn't any load to speak of.

The header will be running parallel to the ceiling joists/rafters - so I agree there should not be much load to worry about.

Like Mike, I like to err on the safe side. Big and beefy!:cool:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Tho 2 x 8 may b enuf for MINIMUMs YES go with 2 x 12, that will take any future load if you or somone else decides to use the upper level as a floor. Costwise it may be a whole nudder 10 dollars over 8's :gar-Bi:gar-Bi:rotflm:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
nothing short of a 4x12 white oak beam laminated with 1/2" steel will do.......[smilies aint workin insert LOL here] double 2x8 is sufficient. bigger is better.

reprosser

New User
Rick
Thanks all

I went with 2x12 and double jack studs. I needed openings for a 60" double door, and a 36" pocket door for under the stairs. (No steel):no:

FinalWall.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors