How to cut Phenolic Sheets?

DustinS

New User
Dustin
I need to cut a 3/4 phenolic sheet down to proper size for a router table top, but am not sure the best way to cut it. Its too big for my bandsaw so the options would be tablesaw, tracksaw or jigsaw (not preferred but an option).

Do I treat this like plywood and use a high tooth count blade? Or use a low tooth count to prevent heat buildup?

Should I cut it in a few lighter passes or just slowly once?

I've heard it is pretty harsh on blades so should I use my nicer blades or go buy a cheap blade to use and toss?

This stuff is dense and expensive and just want to be sure I don't screw it up. I plan to wear at least N95 PPE with every dust collection I have available.
Thanks for any help here.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I use a fine tooth crosscut blade on my table saw. A track saw would be fine.
One pass, not too slow. Just a smooth steady feed.
I wouldn't use a very cheap blade but one that can be sharpened.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Funny you should ask. I just cut a 3/8 linen phenolic sheet (probably what you have) using a 10TPI sabre saw. I was just cutting off the corners of a square sheet that would then be CNCed round and wanted to do some test runs on the corner pieces - it CNC's beautifully. Here are fabrication guides from the two bigger manufacturers - remarkably the same wording.

Attachments

• Atlas Fibre Fabrication and Machining of Thermoset Materials 2020.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 202
  • Micarta Fabrication Guide.pdf
    136 KB · Views: 198

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Solid Phenolic material cuts fairly easy but you must use carbide toothed saws or router bits--it can also be drilled and tapped. I'd prefer a finer toothed saw blade when making the cut. Unless you have a carbide tipped blade on your band saw, phenolic will just trash your blade. I am referring to the solid phenolic material I sold or being furnished by Klingspors at a HUGE DISCOUNTED PRICE! In stock at the Hickory warehouse.

Last edited:

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Solid Phenolic material cuts fairly easy but you must use carbide toothed saws or router bits--it can also be drilled and tapped. I'd prefer a finer toothed saw blade when making the cut. Unless you have a carbide tipped blade on your band saw, phenolic will just trash your blade. I am referring to the solid phenolic material I sold or being furnished by Klingspors at a HUGE DISCOUNTED PRICE! In stock at the Hickory warehouse.
Great to hear that Klingspors has good pricing - do you know what grade they're selling; paper, linen or canvas (I doubt it's glass)? I'm interested in the linen (L or LE grade).

Strom

New User
Strom
I need to cut a 3/4 phenolic sheet down to proper size for a router table top, but am not sure the best way to cut it. Its too big for my bandsaw so the options would be tablesaw, tracksaw or jigsaw (not preferred but an option).

Do I treat this like plywood and use a high tooth count blade? Or use a low tooth count to prevent heat buildup?

Should I cut it in a few lighter passes or just slowly once?

I've heard it is pretty harsh on blades so should I use my nicer blades or go buy a cheap blade to use and toss?

This stuff is dense and expensive and just want to be sure I don't screw it up. I plan to wear at least N95 PPE with every dust collection I have available.
Thanks for any help here.
I used a thin kerf WW2 carbide blade. Some one here said a smooth steady feed through the saw. A tip. Unless you want to smell burned plastic for a long time don't use your regular dust collector if it has a filter.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS