How to build an Acoustic Guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hook

New User
Gregory
Started the class last night at Woodcraft in Raleigh with Herb Shelly. Very personable guy, doesn't talk down to the guys who have no woodworking experience - very encouraging instructor. Started with a kit with the sides already bent, the back attached to the box and the kerfing/perfelling already attached. Idea is to get the basics of the guitar construction into our minds. last night was scalloping and shaping the tone, finger and X bracing on the top. Pics will become available, probably starting next week.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
Very cool. I have been waiting on them to bring that class to the Charlotte location. I am planning an electric guitar build here in the near future. I would like to do an acoustic as well.. You will have to let us know how the rest of the class goes.

Hook

New User
Gregory
forgot to take the camera with me tonight, but generally, got the top shaped, finished scalloping and trimming the top bracing and got the top glued to the body. Rosewood fretboard now has the abalone inlays and sanded to a 20" radius.

truckjohn

New User
John
Are those the "US Guitar Kit, Inc" kits? Those look like a pretty good deal vs Stew Mac kits.

If so, the only concern I would have is the dowel-pinned neck joint... Not sure if they still use those or not.

If so... I would strongly suggest swapping out the 2-bottom Dowels for threaded inserts and knock-down bolts... Convert that sucker over to a Bolt-on neck.

I have had really bad luck with those dowel-pinned neck joints coming loose after 20-40 hours playing and then needing quite a bit of neck reset work to get them straightened back out. Throw a couple bolts in there and it is good to go for years and years and years.... and if it ever needs a Neck reset... just loosen the neck bolts and floss with sandpaper.

Good luck on your build.

John

truckjohn

New User
John
Also... if you are interested in such and haven't already...
Check out:

http://www.luthiersforum.com -- Official Luthier's Forum. Moderately high traffic board and a good place to go for pro advise... but they don't really do builds on the board.
http://www.luthierforum.com -- Luthierforum.com, which is a fairly low traffic board, but has a bunch of "Build alongs" going at any given time.

I am currently doing an Oak body acoustic guitar build over on the Luthierforum.com site.

Thanks

John

Hook

New User
Gregory
Are those the "US Guitar Kit, Inc" kits? Those look like a pretty good deal vs Stew Mac kits.

If so, the only concern I would have is the dowel-pinned neck joint... Not sure if they still use those or not.

If so... I would strongly suggest swapping out the 2-bottom Dowels for threaded inserts and knock-down bolts... Convert that sucker over to a Bolt-on neck.

I have had really bad luck with those dowel-pinned neck joints coming loose after 20-40 hours playing and then needing quite a bit of neck reset work to get them straightened back out. Throw a couple bolts in there and it is good to go for years and years and years.... and if it ever needs a Neck reset... just loosen the neck bolts and floss with sandpaper.

Good luck on your build.

John

It IS and they now have bolt on necks. I think the Stew-Mac kits are probably going to give you a better quality instrument at the end of the day. The US guitar kit is certainly good for a beginner (such as myself) who wants to figure out how the instrument goes together.

truckjohn

New User
John
The "Quality" of the instrument is almost 100% dependent on the work you do... and is almost 100% independent of the "Kit" you start with.

Consider.... The main things a musician notices before anything else:

Playability -- Is the Setup good, Are the frets levelled and crowned properly, is the string height profile appropriate for the style of play?
Neck Feel -- is the shape, size, and contour comfortable
Intonation -- Does it play the expected notes (Not really whether they are musically perfect, but are the notes played in tune with everyone else?)

These things are completely dependent on the work you do....

Then... Is it sufficiently Loud? Does it give the player good feedback about the music he is playing? Is the sound coming out of it properly balanced to sound right... Not Clangey or too trebley or too bassy or whatever...

These things are *ALSO* completely dependent on the work you do.... Turns out the effects of the Wood choice itself is very subtle compared to the effects of the cutting and shaping you do.

Good luck

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS