How to attach quarter round to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
...brick? Liquid nails? drill small holes? What can I use? :icon_scra

I need to install it in my sun room to protect the floating floor that will be installed later this week.

TIA!

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I think a brad nailer would work. The heads are small enough that you might not have to fill the holes before finishing.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Brads would probably have a tough time penetrating the brick. I think I would go with your first reaction and try liquid nails, just a thin bead so it doesn't squeeze out behind the ¼ round.

George

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Brads would probably have a tough time penetrating the brick. I think I would go with your first reaction and try liquid nails, just a thin bead so it doesn't squeeze out behind the ¼ round.

George
My bad. I didn't read close enough. Your right liquid nails would be best:embaresse

b4man

New User
Barbara
Larry, I knew you overlooked the brick part! I wish it would be that easy!
If I do use liquid nails, how would I "clamp" it to the wall long enough to hold it in place while it dries? Duck tape maybe? I'm talking a 20' run.

Thanks George and Larry!

b4man

New User
Barbara
Mike, your post came while I was writing my reply. This trim has to be attached to the wall, not the floor because the vinyl expands and contracts rendering it "floating" flooring.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
You could try taking something heavy, sitting it on the floor and then push it against the wall. That might help it stick to the wall better.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I used liquid nails to attach baseboard to the cinderblock walls in my basement workshop. I used whatever I could find to apply pressure: Boxes of ceramic tile, bucket of water, paint cans etc. It doesn't take much, but you need to keep it in place for a few hours until it's cured enough.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You could try taking something heavy, sitting it on the floor and then push it against the wall. That might help it stick to the wall better.

That's exactly what I meant.

Should clean the brick first too, just sweep it well to remove any loose ceramic dust and chips.

Glennbear

Glenn
I am glad you are making allowance for movement, lots of folks are not aware of the expansion coefficient of vinyl. I can actually hear the vinyl siding on my house snap, crackle and pop as the sun heats it up. :gar-Bi

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Larry, I knew you overlooked the brick part! I wish it would be that easy!
If I do use liquid nails, how would I "clamp" it to the wall long enough to hold it in place while it dries? Duck tape maybe? I'm talking a 20' run.

Thanks George and Larry!

I used liquid nails on some long lengths of quarter round...with 20', it may take 2 or 3 people, but I just held it there for a couple of mins - it gets tacky pretty quick.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I would use a flexible caulk. Liquid nails becomes brittle over time. The brick and wood will have different coeffiecents of expansion. Either PolySeam, or silicone. Be sure and mask off brick above where quarter round will be to keep excess caulk off brick. PolySeam makes a clear caulk that goes on white, but dries clear. PolySeam offers water clean up. We use the PolySeam to mount back splashes all the time. Lowes stocks PolySeam products. At HD, the DAP 230 is about the same product.

b4man

New User
Barbara
This would be a great job for Dave's shop elves wouldn't it?

I wonder if he would let me have Ava for a day or two?:nah:

Thanks everyone! As usual, I got my answer and more! Bruce, I definitely like the water clean up deal. I would have never thought of taping off the brick.

Mike, thanks for reminding me to clean off the brick first....I'm so inherently slack I might not have bothered!:dontknow: I guess you know that already so that's why you mentioned it:gar-La;
Good stuff guys!!! Thanks again.

Steve W

New User
Steve
+1 for the caulk/RTV solution. Just be sure that you pre-finish the quarter-round before using the adhesive, as the silicone stuff repels paint and finishes.

:kermit: Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS