How long was your longest project?

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Is there a prize for the longest time to complete a relatively easy project? I'm sure I wouldn't win, but here is my entry.

Told my daughter 2 to 3 months to finish this table... last September... 2019. She was down a few weeks back and with puppy dog blinky eyes, asked if it might be ready for Christmas THIS YEAR. I'm trying. All the parts are right there. A few more cuts, some more sanding and then assembly and stain.
20201209_201658.jpg
Fingers crossed.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Focus, the best way is to write sequence, that way, you can schedule each procedure and this manages you from being side-tracked along the way. If you just fly by the seat of your pants you will make a mallet, make 3 clamps you saw in some video, watch a football game and then find a reason to go to the toy store (tool store).

......................... at least I read that is how some people get distracted from their task ... :oops: :p

BKHam

Bradley
User
i was extra slow over the last few months of the pandemic. my wife started working from home so i moved her car out of the garage. the extra space meant the half finished dresser was out of the way instead of clogging up my bench. I could just ignore it.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I built a face frame for a cabinet for a wall oven upgrade... completed in a few weekends, but I was told that since the final piece of moulding was not made and installed until a year later, that my timeliness was in question...

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I made a gate leg dining table for my wife and I shortly after we were married (36 years ago). She still reminds me from time to time that I never added the drawers that are supposed to slide in each side. Frame is there. Just no drawer.

Hmm... maybe that could be a Christmas present.

wfuuna

New User
wfuuna
I started these tables in 2004. I got about 3/4 finished, wasn't happy with the stringing and veneer, and put them in a corner of my shop. Since then, I moved twice and would pull them out once every few years to tinker with something, replaced the stringing and banding, and finally decided to get them out of my way this year. I'm still not happy with them, but they're OK. As you can see in the picture, one of the tops is warped a little bit in the sun, but it flattened out in the house. One is in my office and the other one is on my upstairs balcony. I'm usually pretty fast to complete a project, but if I don't like how it is going, I easily get distracted and move on to something else. Since I'm not traveling anywhere, 2020 has been good for finishing old projects.
20200427_183953056_iOS (2).jpg

20200427_184107508_iOS (2).jpg
20200427_184052792_iOS (2).jpg

23tony

New User
Tony
My office is going on 5 years paused at the first mudding.

Does it count if you only got the wood? I've got a pool table that's been sitting for 4 years now

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Hmmm , well I made 2 clavichords in the early 70-'s and one just needs stringing, but it is at my brother's house, so I am going to assume this is a lost cause. Have a bowl I did in 1966 that is incomplete still need to final shape the outside, but it is the oldest piece of work I have, so probably not going to ever finish it either. Thinking we all have these kind of projects laying around

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
This Normandy Grandfather Clock, with 237 gazillion interior cuts took about 15 weeks. Solid cherry throughout.
That would be one that my children, no grand children would have to finish.... oh, that's right, I don't have any kids...

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Our house. Started it in June of 1980. Still working on it. Hopefully before I die, I can have it in shape for the children to sell.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Found this today but it’s hardly going to win the prize. Guess that it’s dry enough and done warping by now:mad:. I quickly found that I need to sharpen the gouge before continuing.
4A7DB204-8D5B-45E0-9CAB-DDE819C40BDC.jpeg

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Focus, the best way is to write sequence, that way, you can schedule each procedure and this manages you from being side-tracked along the way. If you just fly by the seat of your pants you will make a mallet, make 3 clamps you saw in some video, watch a football game and then find a reason to go to the toy store (tool store).

......................... at least I read that is how some people get distracted from their task ... :oops: :p
Butterflies, I see lots of butterflies and tend to get lost. Lol

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Progress!! Routed the edges on tabletop and leaves and lots of sanding tonight. Hope to complete assembly this weekend.

Big shout out to Phil S (not sure how to properly tag someone) but the TV in the background was one of my 'right place at the right time' collections from one of his demo jobs. I've worked to a couple hours of TSO christmas tunes on YouTube over the last few days!

20201210_205441.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors