How long to let BLO cure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I got a coat of BLO on the entertainment center today. The directions on the can say 24 hrs but seams like I've read other places to wait 3 days and can't find where I've read it. This project has taken me so long to conplete I'm getting itchy to get a finsh on it and get it in the house, however I know that you do not rush the finish.

I wish I had the camera to post more pics, the BLO really gives the cherry a rich look but the CEO and executive VP's (loml, daughter, and grandson) took off to the beach.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would wait until the smell is gone. That can vary greatly in time from 24 hours to several days depending on the environment the piece is drying in.
Also a lot depends on how much you applied and what type of wood your using. A heavy application or open pore woods can lengthen the cure time.
MTCW,
Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
What Dave said. In addition to the "smell test", I do the "feel" test. Rub your finger over it and see it feels "oily". If it does, it's not cured yet. Are you putting anything over the BLO? BLO by itself makes the wood look pretty, but doesn't do much for protection.

I finished my SYP workbench with BLO, it took almost a week before it was really cured. Inside of drawers - they still smell. Cherry magazine stand - 3 days.

Patience is a virtue. But waiting sucks :)

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>> I will be finishing with Waterlox original gloss thinned for a wipe on varnish

I would wait 3 days before overcoating with an oil based product like Waterlox Original Gloss.

Trog777

New User
Trog
I'm chicken. And unlucky. I usually put a coat of dewaxed shellac on top of the BLO before topcoat. With this method, supposedly you can go from bare wood to finished topcoat in a day, but I usually wait overnight between.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you have a sunny day set it outside the heat and wind will help cure the oil and the UV from the sun will darken cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS