How good is the dust collection on a track saw?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
So I am considering a Wen track saw, but want to hear from any user of a track-saw.

Is the dust collection sufficient to use inside?

I need to work with a bunch of sheet goods, and plan to do in my basement (to break down into pieces) rather than my shop (shop space has constraints). I don't need 100% capture, but also don't want to spew chips and dust everywhere.

EDIT - see this thread for initial user comments (I did purchase Wen tracksaw with PowerTec track).
Wen track saw - initial user comments

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have the Makita saw, Cen-Tec anti-static hose, and a Ridgid shop vac. I'd estimate that I get about 80-90% of the dust. With my Domino it gets about 99% of it.
Thanks Martin. I had not given any thought to the hose itself.
Is the Cen-Tec hose worth acquiring? Why that one? Is this just a cheaper 'knock-off' type that fits?
So far all I have is the plastic Ridgid hoses or older Shop-Vac hoses.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also have a Makita track saw. I use the Dust Right FlexiPort hose on a Rigid vacuum, with a Dustopper seperator. I put tape over the opening on the blade cover, and I'd say it gets no less than 90% of the dust.

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
I have the Wen track saw that is usually hooked up to a cheap HD buckethead, depending on the thickness of material I get 80-90% of the dust. Decent enough that I've used it inside a home before.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Ah-ha! Real experience with the tool! That seals the deal.

if I find I use this all the time and do need a better tool, the tracks I am getting are compatible with the Festool or Makita saws. Even for this one large project the investment seems worth it (rather than handling sheet goods in my shop, which would require rearranging tools to clear enough space).

Thanks

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Is the Cen-Tec hose worth acquiring? Why that one? Is this just a cheaper 'knock-off' type that fits?
So far all I have is the plastic Ridgid hoses or older Shop-Vac hoses.

The Cen-Tec is much longer and more flexible than the Ridgid hose. It's a knock-off of the much more expensive Festool or Bosch hoses. It comes with adapters so you can connect to most tool brands. It fits all my tools including Makita, Ryobi, and Festool Domino.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
The Cen-Tec is much longer and more flexible than the Ridgid hose. It's a knock-off of the much more expensive Festool or Bosch hoses. It comes with adapters so you can connect to most tool brands. It fits all my tools including Makita, Ryobi, and Festool Domino.
What length hose did you get? 16', 30' ? Like it?

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Henry, I got the 16" hose. It didn't sound too bad when I ordered it, but when I actually took it out of the box I thought, dang this is long. It's really 4-6' more than I need. My "shop" is tiny, one bay of a three-car garage. It's kind of a trip hazard if I don't keep it wound up.

Still, it's waaay better than that stiff Ridgid hose.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Darn good. Let me share my first experience. Years ago when the Festool track saw was just coming on the market I had a job to cut glass windows into 13 finished commercial doors. The holes, about 24 x 72, required a plunge cut without splintering - note, commercial doors are 1 3/4 thick particle board with veneer. The doors were in a law office on the upper floor of a class A building and the door slabs would just barely fit into the elevator. My boss figured this job would take several weekends as we would have to take each door down to the loading dock where we would cut them - a royal pain.
I had a different idea. I had seen this new plunge/track saw at Klingspor and was told it did a good job with dust pickup. So I bought one, well actually the company did. We setup right in the office reception area. I used some saw horses with a couple of 2x4 to place the door on. On top of the 2x4s and under the door, I put a sheet of HVAC filter media to capture any dust from the bottom of the cut. I had made a large template for the saw to run in and clamped that to the door. We used a regular shop vac and just duct taped it to the saw. We cut thirteen doors before noon that day and there was virtually no dust. My boss then asked what I (he) had paid that saw. When I told him it was just south of $500, he said it had already paid for itself.

That saw has cut hundreds of doors and is still going strong. But oddly enough I only use it to cut doors. If I need to breakdown sheet goods I just use my 18v Makita circular saw.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Makita saw, Cen-Tec anti-static hose, and a Ridgid shop vac. I'd estimate that I get about 80-90% of the dust. With my Domino it gets about 99% of it.
Martin, can you show a link to the Cen-Tec anti-static hose?
I googled it, but keep coming up with weird links or "you can order it at Walmart or Lowe's"

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I break down sheets in the driveway. Just gave myself a dope slap as I had not figured where to store a 2 inch sheet of foam. Garage ceiling of course! Back the truck up, foam on the ground, track saw and rough size it. Been using just a strait edge, but going to buy a 4 foot Kreg track tomorrow.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Regardless of the visible dust/shavings, operating a shopvac attached to a powertool inside a living space without HEPA level filtration is not a safe thing to do. I use an aftermarket Gore Cleanstream HEPA cartridge filter on my shopvac. It's close to 20 years old and works great. GORE® CLEANSTREAM® Filters

As far as dust/shavings collection, with my shopvac/HEPA cartridge attached to my Festool TS-55 tracksaw on a backer board (I use foam insulation board) with a good anti-splinter strip on the guide can be used inside without a problem.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My DeWalt track saw has pretty good dust collection except if the blade is exposed on one side (like a table saw throws dust from). I use the Bosch 5 meter hose which is not anti static. I can't see paying the price of an anti static hose, my plain one works fine and has never shocked me. I don't know about a Wen track saw but I use the Bosch on my DeWalt, my domino, my DeWalt orbital sander (with an adapter) and my Bosch sander (with it's adapter).

I think you need a hose around 16 feet long to break down sheet goods.. I occasionally wish mine was a bit longer. It is also nice to have an auto-on switch on the shop vac so you don't have to turn it on and off.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I have a Festool Track Saw coupled to a Festool vacuum; it is a great saw with outstanding dust collection.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors