How good is the dust collection on a track saw?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
It used my DeWalt track saw inside today. I am making a 10 foot dining room table with a 7/8 thick cherry top. It is over 42 inches wide. I had to make it in 3 sections and glue the sections together in the dining room due to weight. So I needed to trim the glueup slightly at the ends - cross cut the top. The blade was not in the wood on one side and the first cut made a bit of a mess. Then I forgot to turn on the shop vac on the other end and saw how much dust was being generated. The shop vac was getting the majority of the dust, even with one side of the blade exposed. Buried, it gets almost all of it.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
There was an improvement with my Makita when I covered the hole in the front cover with some painters tape. It may work for the Wen as well.

That modification of my Wen saw - covering the 4 sq in hole with tape - made a HUGE difference in dust collection. There is still debris left on the sheet, but closing off that hole increased the pickup from 70% (?) to 90% (?) - no measurements, just impressions.
Thanks Matt!

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
There are a couple of 3D printer designs to cover the opening on the Festool track saws, I need to print one out and see how well it does on mine.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
There are a couple of 3D printer designs to cover the opening on the Festool track saws, I need to print one out and see how well it does on mine.
Please do and report back! I wonder if you could 3-D print a frame to hold a piece of plexiglass?

MLB3164

New User
Marty
I recently purchased the Makita SP6000J, my first track saw, and use it with a Festool CT33 and was very impressed with the dust collection.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors