How good is the dust collection on a track saw?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I break down sheets in the driveway. Just gave myself a dope slap as I had not figured where to store a 2 inch sheet of foam. Garage ceiling of course! Back the truck up, foam on the ground, track saw and rough size it. Been using just a strait edge, but going to buy a 4 foot Kreg track tomorrow.

I cut my 2" foam board into 4 -2X4 pieces an use just what I need.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I break down sheets in the driveway. Just gave myself a dope slap as I had not figured where to store a 2 inch sheet of foam. Garage ceiling of course! Back the truck up, foam on the ground, track saw and rough size it. Been using just a strait edge, but going to buy a 4 foot Kreg track tomorrow.

I cut my 2" foam board into 4 -2X4 pieces an use just what I need.
Joe
What kind of 'foam' sheet is this? Not the 'solid' blue stuff, right?
The pink stuff where you can see the cells? Never bought this but have seen some.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
This stuff

1611244207836.png

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Hank, I do have both a shop vac and Festool CT26; while I do not have a device to measure actual noise levels, I believe the Festool is quieter than the shop vac. That said, I only use the Festool when it is actually connected to a tool (track saw, sanders, domino, etc.), I use the shop vac to actually clean the shop. I mention this because when using the Festool I have the combined noise of the vacuum plus tool so my observations are probably of little value.:(

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, I do have both a shop vac and Festool CT26; while I do not have a device to measure actual noise levels, I believe the Festool is quieter than the shop vac. That said, I only use the Festool when it is actually connected to a tool (track saw, sanders, domino, etc.), I use the shop vac to actually clean the shop. I mention this because when using the Festool I have the combined noise of the vacuum plus tool so my observations are probably of little value.:(
OK, now a dumb question - why do you use the shop vac to clean-up and not the Festool (HEPA filtration and all that..)?

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I ran a test this morning using an Android app called "Sound Meter". I was in my shop alone, with nothing else running except the shop lights. I measured sound from about 18" from each of two machines with no attachments running, but both had hoses that were connected. First was my Festool CT36 Dust Extractor with a standard hose with an open end. It measured 64 - 65 dB. Next, I tested the sound coming from my ShopVac 16 gallon unit with a 10 foot hose connected to a ClearVue MiniC06 and onto my Mitersaw. It measured 64 - 66 dB. No real difference in sound output. Both units have high efficiency filter bags capturing their input dust.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I ran a test this morning using an Android app called "Sound Meter". I was in my shop alone, with nothing else running except the shop lights. I measured sound from about 18" from each of two machines with no attachments running, but both had hoses that were connected. First was my Festool CT36 Dust Extractor with a standard hose with an open end. It measured 64 - 65 dB. Next, I tested the sound coming from my ShopVac 16 gallon unit with a 10 foot hose connected to a ClearVue MiniC06 and onto my Mitersaw. It measured 64 - 66 dB. No real difference in sound output. Both units have high efficiency filter bags capturing their input dust.
Thanks Rob! I guess I expected the Festool to be somewhat quiet... but as Donn pointed out, typically you would have some other "noisemaker" running at the same time... unless you were using the Festool for clean-up...

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
OK, now a dumb question - why do you use the shop vac to clean-up and not the Festool (HEPA filtration and all that..)?

Hank, I noted that Rob did get actual empirical data on the noise levels generated by the two machines. According to the spec sheet for the CT 26, it is said to have a db level of 62, which is comparable to what Rob found on his CT36. As to why I use my Shop Vac (14 gallon) for everyday clean up, I suppose there are several reasons: 1) I did not get the additional attachments (floor sweeps, etc), 2) I use high efficiency bags in the shop vac which I probably change 4 to 6 times per year, while I may change the bag on the Festool once every year or two, 3) the shop vac's hose is twice as large (diameter) as the Festool's and therefore less likely to clog with the variety of debris I suck up from the floor. I suppose the bottom line for me is that when I purchased the Festool CT26 I viewed it strictly as a companion component to my dust generating power tools and not an everyday vacuum cleaner. I have owned the CT26 for about 10 years and I have never had a problem with it (knock on wood) while I have had 3 shop vacs over that same period.

mpeele

michael
User
Dust collection on my 2005 Festool track saw is great after one modification. There is some escape at end of cut and very little along the cut.

Attachments

• 63A348AC-FFB0-4B66-9D73-50419AFCE0D5.jpeg
    63A348AC-FFB0-4B66-9D73-50419AFCE0D5.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 150

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I'll add my comments to those of DRW about using both a ShopVac and a Festool Dust Extractor. I have had the ShopVac for many years and I have it dedicated to collecting dust from my mitersaw with the CV06 mini-cyclone in between. It has a 2-1/2" hose and takes care of the majority of dust through the saw guard port. I kept it in place after I purchased the Festool CT36 a few years ago along with two of Festool's random orbit sanders (a 6" ETS-150/5 and the 5" ETS-125/3) and use a Festool standard 11-1/2 foot antistatic hose (27 mm diameter). I use the auto switch feature with the sanders (and when I connect to my Domino or Festool TS55 circular saw) so that the dust collection starts with the tool. Because they are in different areas of my shop, I don't need to drag hoses around and change adapters at each tool.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'll add my comments to those of DRW about using both a ShopVac and a Festool Dust Extractor. I have had the ShopVac for many years and I have it dedicated to collecting dust from my mitersaw with the CV06 mini-cyclone in between. It has a 2-1/2" hose and takes care of the majority of dust through the saw guard port. I kept it in place after I purchased the Festool CT36 a few years ago along with two of Festool's random orbit sanders (a 6" ETS-150/5 and the 5" ETS-125/3) and use a Festool standard 11-1/2 foot antistatic hose (27 mm diameter). I use the auto switch feature with the sanders (and when I connect to my Domino or Festool TS55 circular saw) so that the dust collection starts with the tool. Because they are in different areas of my shop, I don't need to drag hoses around and change adapters at each tool.
Thanks Rob,
Do you use a Shop vac for "everyday clean-up" like Donn?

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I use the ShopVac for cleanup as Donn does -- I also have a longer hose that I connect to my stationary belt/disk sander near my miter station to capture dust when it is used. My DW 743 planer is connected to my main dust collection system through a chip collection bin based on an old Shop Notes design. I should add that I am overdue for shop floor cleanup!

Ralrick

New User
Rick
I have the Wen track saw - I don't have anywhere near 80% dust collection when cutting sheet goods. I have a 5HP ShopVac attached to the Wen and still enough sawdust that I wonder if it is even worth the hassle of connecting the vac. I must not be doing something right . . . . . . .

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have the Wen track saw - I don't have anywhere near 80% dust collection when cutting sheet goods. I have a 5HP ShopVac attached to the Wen and still enough sawdust that I wonder if it is even worth the hassle of connecting the vac. I must not be doing something right . . . . . . .
Rick - Agreed. My first cut or two demonstrates that as well. Dust collection is nowhere near 'good enough' to use inside.
Still a great way to break down sheet goods, just not as 'clean' as I had hoped. Still, I am not ready to spring for the tres$$ greenish version of this (yet).

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS