How do we feel about WoodCraft vises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred85

New User
Josh
I'm in the process of building my first workbench and I am looking for a front vise. As a casual/novice woodworker i can't justify spending $150 on a vise, but the Small Front Vise or its quick release equivalent seem to be good products. Can anyone offer an opinion?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
For my money the quick-release mechanism on any bench vise is well worth the money. And it's not just for opening the vise for wide pieces: if I'm trying to position a piece in the vise and need to use both hands, I can simply lean against the vise to push it closed, then tighten it down w/ the handle.

I don't know anything about the Woodcraft vise, or any other brands, for that matter. All of my bench vises were bought second hand at auctions or flea markets.

Bill

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I put the cheap WC quick release front and sliding tail vises, knock-offs from China, on my woodworking bench. The front vise works just fine, just as well as the more expensive German one they sell. The tail vise however was manufactured very poorly. One of the stand-off bolts was drilled on an angle and tapped poorly. Rather than return it, I re-drilled and tapped new holes and once "re-manufactured", has worked great. I painted them both satin black to match my Lee Valley twin screw end vise. Neither came with levers. I couldn't find the dowels I wanted so turned some leftover maple and added balls I got at Michael's craft store on each end.

The first part of this video tour of my bench highlights the vises.

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

Glennbear

Glenn
I have the 9" Shop Fox vise like George has and I am quite pleased with it. They do go on sale on Amazon from time to time. :wsmile:

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
I'm in the process of building my first workbench and I am looking for a front vise. As a casual/novice woodworker i can't justify spending $150 on a vise, but the Small Front Vise or its quick release equivalent seem to be good products. Can anyone offer an opinion?

Nice looking cheap workbench here: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/1924574112.html

Description: Typical woodworking bench with a drawer, tool well, shelf, two vises, bench dogs, and whatever those posts are called that help hold up long pieces being clamped. Dimensions are 55 1/4 long by 19 3/4 wide by 33 3/4 high. Nice condition, and not bad for sixty bucks! Thanks for looking. Location: Crabtree

Not mine, and I would act fast if interested...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS