How did they do this?

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I have 4 antique table legs similar to this. What has me stumped is how did they cut the vertical grooves on a curved leg? I was wondering if it was done prior to assembly? Anyone know? I want to repair the ones I have that are damaged.
s-l1600.jpg

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 for fluting jig. It works similar to a router that runs down the turning is mounted (fixed) on the lathe (or any other centers). The head cuts the groove and then you have some hand work to smooth it up.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Splitting hairs - That pattern is actually called 'reeding' rather than 'fluting'. A flute is a groove made with a round cutter. Reeds are rounded as the example shown above. The process is pretty much the same and is more often than not, referred to as a fluting jig.
Below from a 1954 Delta how-to booklet
1     reeding copy.jpg

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I can see how that works on a straight leg, but what confuses me is the leg has curves. The diameter is smaller at the top then larger and back smaller. Has to be a jig that will allow the cutter head/bit to move in and out as well as back and forth. These legs are probably 100 years old, no cnc machines back them. Fascinating to me. Thanks for the responses, I have a lot of respect for the craftsman of old.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Here is one from Fine Woodworking that Ernie posted in 2016.
I think this is what you need to follow the curve.

Attachments

• FLUTING JIG.pdf
    484.2 KB · Views: 144

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I can see how that works on a straight leg, but what confuses me is the leg has curves. The diameter is smaller at the top then larger and back smaller. Has to be a jig that will allow the cutter head/bit to move in and out as well as back and forth. These legs are probably 100 years old, no cnc machines back them. Fascinating to me. Thanks for the responses, I have a lot of respect for the craftsman of old.
They were probably hand carved back then.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Beautiful table, but those legs are unattractive to me. Too ponderous. I also wonder why the leaves don't have a fascia. Maybe that setup is only meant to be temporary for extra seating. I guess you just put the center leg in the closet when the table is folded back together. Very odd.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
The cutter head/bit is stationary. The bottom of the "form" has the same shape (straight or curve) as the leg portion to be carved.
Replace the cutter head with a "reeding" tool and you can get the same result.

That is not an everyday use table - notice it has castors.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
They were probably hand carved back then.
You think so? I think factories were mass producing out all sorts of fancy furniture parts by the turn of the 19th century.

This leg looks pretty straightforward for a mechanized jig. It’s very symmetrical - and chunky.

As to repairing these, always tricky matching and existing part. I think I’d:
make some 2d templates
Glue/scab on fillers for the missing chunks
Carefully rough turn to bring the fillers to near finished diameters.
Use indexing on the lathe to lay out the replacement reeding
Hand carve the replacement reeding..maybe grind a custom scraper for a hand reeding tool.

-Mark

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Mark,
That's what I was thinking, but my lathe is too small. Racking my brain thinking, could I make a mold of an existing side and use some type of wood filler? I like that type of big old antique legs, rarely see them any more. The reason I would like to salvage them if possible.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My lathe is plenty big for that if you want to do it right.
I know it's a long drive but may be worth it.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
My lathe is plenty big for that if you want to do it right.
I know it's a long drive but may be worth it.
Mike that is very kind, but I think it would a lot of time to do it. Don't like to overstay my welcome.

I have been researching silicone mold kits, then using a bondo wood filler. And that would be okay if I painted them. Paint an antique? Blasphemy!

Hey! might be a good reason to buy a bigger lathe? Maybe she would go for it, I dunno.......

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
You can make a simple jig for a router and use that to cut the new turnings and do the indexing.

Similar to the way a CNC router would do it..but without the CNC

PS any idea what caused all that glue failure in the original legs? Were they chemically stripped at some point?

-Mark

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I rescued them from an old warehouse, no telling how long they have been exposed to the weather. And yes I did strip them, but the splits were already there.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS