How big is your shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
My shop is 31x34, with 10' ceiling. Walls are insulated and covered with OSB painted white, ceiling is sheetrock. 9x9 garage door and 3' personnel door. It is built over a crawl space to make it easier standing, and provide access for dust collection and electrical power under the floor. 200A electrical panel, HVAC, utility deep sink. Across a small hallway is my 8x10 office, 1/2 bath, and my wife's sewing/craft room. There is 1 column in the shop that supports a corner of 500 sf of storage (shared with LOML) above the shop.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
My shop is 31x34, with 10' ceiling. Walls are insulated and covered with OSB painted white, ceiling is sheetrock. 9x9 garage door and 3' personnel door. It is built over a crawl space to make it easier standing, and provide access for dust collection and electrical power under the floor. 200A electrical panel, HVAC, utility deep sink. Across a small hallway is my 8x10 office, 1/2 bath, and my wife's sewing/craft room. There is 1 column in the shop that supports a corner of 500 sf of storage (shared with LOML) above the shop.

I was thinking about using OSB on the walls of my shop since it is already insulated just needs something covering to protect it. Do you have any pictures of how it looks once painted white?

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
My new shop will be started within a month or so. It will be 26' x 36' with 10' ceiling, a half bath, heated/cooled with a mini-split and have a second floor for storage or whatever else. I will also be building it on a crawl space to help the back and have easy access to running wires and ductwork from underneath.

Red

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used 1/2" sanded plywood laid sideways and a 4x8 sheet of pegboard above it. So the walls are 4' of ply and 4' of pegboard measuring from the ground. I painted the ply turtle green and the pegboard a yellow color to match the cabinets. having all that pegboard is very handy and you can still hang heavy stuff from the studs. Will probably repeat that setup in the new shop.

Tip: paint it before mounting it.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I was thinking about using OSB on the walls of my shop since it is already insulated just needs something covering to protect it. Do you have any pictures of how it looks once painted white?

I did walls and ceiling in osb, painted white.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Garage-Shop 142.JPG
    Garage-Shop 142.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 206

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
24x32 and a 24x32 barn for lumber storage. No matter how large you build your shop, it will not be big enough! And that's the LAW!

toolman

Administrator
Chad
Mine is a small shop as well would like it to be bigger. It is 52' x 60' x 12' ceilings. also have 8' x 20' x 5 1/2' ceilings, 2nd floor. Total floor footage, 3280 Sq Ft.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Mine is a small shop as well would like it to be bigger. It is 52' x 60' x 12' ceilings. also have 8' x 20' x 5 1/2' ceilings, 2nd floor. Total floor footage, 3280 Sq Ft.

how do you get anything done in such cramped quarters???:rotflm:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Mine is a 3 car garage. 22' x 32' with only 9' ceilings.

I'm planing on building a 18'x48' garage with 14' ceilings. (18' is the widest I can go on my property or I'd go at least 20'-22').

Ceiling height is just as important for storage, I have learned.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Was in a 22x28 two car garage dedicated to the shop. I removed the garage doors and replaced them with walls. Now that I've moved I will have more room. The entire basement at the new house is 26.5 x 46.5, so I'm working now on how to partition it. Want a little garage space, an office, half bath and finish room, but I keep seeing those taking away from the shop space. Still working on the final design.

Ken,
I found it useful to use sketchup to decide how to partition things. When we moved into the house, there were zero partitioning walls in the basement. I built a 37' wall across the basement to define the shop and two smaller walls for the finishing room in the corner of the shop.

The shop is an odd-ball shape with 3 columns in it. One column is right by the wall and door, so it really shouldn't pose any real limitations.

Total square footage of the shop is about 1100 sqft with about 120 sqft of that being used for the finishing room. I used to be in a 19x19 two-car garage.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Shop.png
    Shop.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 245

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Ken,
I found it useful to use sketchup to decide how to partition things. When we moved into the house, there were zero partitioning walls in the basement. I built a 37' wall across the basement to define the shop and two smaller walls for the finishing room in the corner of the shop.

The shop is an odd-ball shape with 3 columns in it. One column is right by the wall and door, so it really shouldn't pose any real limitations.

Total square footage of the shop is about 1100 sqft with about 120 sqft of that being used for the finishing room. I used to be in a 19x19 two-car garage.

attachment.php

That leads me to another question..... Partition or open floor plan?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
You probably want to partition off a finish room if you're planning one - to keep dust out. Or partition an office area for design and such if planning on that - for the same reason - dust. But other than that I see no reason to partition things off. Wood storage - in the shop - out of the shop?? What do you plan to do there.

These are all things I'm still working on in my planning. One thing I learned in the other shop was put the dust collector near the exit for ease of emptying it. Or outside the shop if that's possible. Or even better blow the dust into a nearby woods if that's available - no emptying at all.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I agree with Ken on a finishing space. When i finish construction on each project i have to stop and clean up to try and make sure nothing is going to get into the finish. Having a space to walk something over to so i can start the finishing process would be nice

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
Hi

My building is 30 x 60 x 10 (ceilings) with HVAC system. Inside is a 13 x 33 woodshop see PDF, 13 x 30 general storage area, 10 x 16 office, the rest is a metal working shop ie lath, mill etc. I have another building with a 12 x 24 wood storage area, not heated.

I also found it very useful to use a layout system which then drove electric and lighting. I used a free lighting program that let you feed it room information and a code for your light fixture (the code came from the manufacturer) and it calculated number of lights and placement based on your needs input.

This is my fourth shop and the only one I started from scratch. It has been in use since 2006 and is a pleasure to spend time in it.

Good Luck

Bob

This is a 3D pdf. Click on the display area and it will bring up 3D version you can use your mouse and wheel to rotate, expand, pan etc.

View attachment Wood Shop Asm Pg 5a.pdf

sandfarm

Joe
User
Orighinally, 28' x 50', just added 16' x 28'. Total shop area 28' x 66' with an interior wall between old and new shop.

Joe

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I am building a 12*24 now was using a 8*12 lack of money is the reason I didn't go bigger but with what wood working I do the 12*24 is going to work just fine

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
24 x30 metal building. No insulation. No heat or air. You can find information about insulating this type of building now.

ncfowler

New User
jeff
as always never big enough. my shop is small 12x16, it fits my purpose, if you lay it out right you can do almost anything, my only limitation is making large works. But most of what I do is small, so space at this point in time is not an issue, I am trying to figure out how to make space for a drum sander I want to get, thinking of removing a bench I made when I first got my shop, and putting more tools on wheels,

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
24 x30 metal building. No insulation. No heat or air. You can find information about insulating this type of building now.

So I'm not the only one like this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS