How about "Hedge Apple" Wednesday

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Thank you Chris Black for the chunk of Osage Orange !
That black streak at the bottom is not a crack, it is the darker grain showing through.

Attachments

• IMG_0428.JPG
    IMG_0428.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Nicely turned mallet for sure. Osage is about my favorite wood for a mallet. Its just the right density for momentum and more importantly, the fibers don't shred as easily as some other woods of that same density when pounding metal machine parts.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you Chris Black for the chunk of Osage Orange !
That black streak at the bottom is not a crack, it is the darker grain showing through.
@David Turner did Chris give you a piece of the Osage Orange he had or is this one of the mallets he turned and was trying to sell?

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
@David Turner did Chris give you a piece of the Osage Orange he had or is this one of the mallets he turned and was trying to sell?
Chris had 6 or 7 chunks of O.O. that a friend had given him. I traded him out of one of the pieces and brought it home and turned the mallet. Then I sent him a picture of the turning . He made some comment about getting off his duff and turning some mallets . I assumed he meant to sell

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Chris had 6 or 7 chunks of O.O. that a friend had given him. I traded him out of one of the pieces and brought it home and turned the mallet. Then I sent him a picture of the turning . He made some comment about getting off his duff and turning some mallets . I assumed he meant to sell
He did - he posted one on FB the other day and I was going to ask what he wanted for a chunk of the OO if he still had some left...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors