Hovarter Single Handle Custom Face Vise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I've been lusting after Hovarter vises since I first saw a video of them in action. The single and double screw (rod) versions and the newer wagon vise are great. His new leg vise is truly fantastic. His mechanism is unique and the biggest vise innovation ever. I think his vises have all others beat hands down, and that includes anything by Lee Valley or BenchCrafted. Unfortunately I can't afford nor justify the cost [STRIKE]at this time[/STRIKE] yet. :wsmile:

Those who know me and how I feel about new designs, know I seldom speak this highly about any of them.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
That is one slick piece of engineering! (and worth every penny, too! Kudo's to good old American ingenuity!)

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks for sharing. I have a BenchCrafted leg vice. It works wonderfully but it would be nice not to have to set the pin in the guide rail. Cool stuff!
Salem

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing. I have a BenchCrafted leg vice. It works wonderfully but it would be nice not to have to set the pin in the guide rail. Cool stuff!
Salem

That was my exact thought when I saw the video. The Hovarter leg vise installation appears to take a bit more planning and effort, but looks well worth the effort.

Steve, none of the videos really show it, but can you really apply enough torque to clamp something really, really tight?

Semmons23

New User
Steve
Well I guess it depends on your definition of really really tight but at about the 25 minute mark of part 2 I put a board in and try to move it back and forth. I tried pretty hard and it didn't move and that's with just wood to wood contact - no leather or anything to add friction.

I also just retested the same board and tried as hard as I could to move it. I actually moved the bench and the board would not move so I'd say that's beyond the max I would need. This is also a short board which would normally allow for racking but not with this vise.

Hope that helps

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Well I guess it depends on your definition of really really tight but at about the 25 minute mark of part 2 I put a board in and try to move it back and forth. I tried pretty hard and it didn't move and that's with just wood to wood contact - no leather or anything to add friction.

I also just retested the same board and tried as hard as I could to move it. I actually moved the bench and the board would not move so I'd say that's beyond the max I would need. This is also a short board which would normally allow for racking but not with this vise.

Hope that helps

That should be fine for WW. Beer cans will need to be crushed somewhere else. :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS