house fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
A house was lost over night due to rags with linseed oil on them. Some of our wood finishes have linseed oil in them. Be careful, read and head the labels.

Attachments

• House fire.jpg
    House fire.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 258

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Dave, special note: it's not just any oily rag, it's one with Linseed oil in it. I read an article some years ago that studied this very thing and it stated that the danger was with linseed oil. This house fire is the first one I've read about that demonstrated the fact.
If you still have that Delta cast iron saw wing (27" X 10"), what do you want for it?

DavidF

New User
David
Dave, special note: it's not just any oily rag, it's one with Linseed oil in it. I read an article some years ago that studied this very thing and it stated that the danger was with linseed oil. This house fire is the first one I've read about that demonstrated the fact.
If you still have that Delta cast iron saw wing (27" X 10"), what do you want for it?

Hi Bob, I watch out for all my finishing oil rags - danish, linseed, wiping varnish.... you never know..

The wing went to the first bidder - he had it fitted in about 5 mins!!

Need a window a/c unit? I am about to hop over the the buy/sell forum and stick a couple units up there.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Good! glad the first bidder got it.

No, don't need window units, having whole house air installed next week.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Yikes! Anyone know where I can get one of those fire resistant garbage cans. I used to use them in the refinery laboratory where I worked in Louisiana. Haven't seen any at the wood working stores. Of course, I haven't looked that hard. :eusa_thin

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
You can also put them in an old coffee can.I know they have plastic lids but run some masking tape around it good and tight. Fire can't burn with no oxygen.I hang mine and let them dry before I do anything else with them.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I always set rags outside on the driveway to dry for a day. I make sure the rags are laid out flat, no ball or bundle. Sometimes, paranoia can be useful.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
This site might change minds on how to handle oily type rags. If you use these types of finishes look the product up or read the label for there type hazards. If in doubt ask the clerk at the place where you brought it for the MSDS (Material Safety Date Sheet) which will tell you everything you want to know about it. I keep a MSDS Book in my shop on all the Materials I use. I guess all the years in the fire service has made me consious of what can happen just like this house fire. But even a MSDS sheet won't help sometimes, but its a start. Terry

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/inflin.html

FYI NOTE:
Linseed Oil is also a valuable tool in the preservation of concrete. An application of linseed oil, penetrates the surface of the concrete forming barrier to water. It stabilises the surface of the concrete, reduces the formation of dust and prevents corrosive breakdown of the steel reinforcing rods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS