Hot Mineral Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Recently someone posted a comment referrring to "heated mineral oil". I'm about to slap some mineral oil on a small cutting board.

Sooo, would someone explain?

How hot?
Method of heating?
Etc?

With heated anticipation,
Sapwood

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
For cutting boards I add about 10% parrafin wax (by volume) to the mineral oil, microwave until the wax melts, then rub it on liberally with a soft cloth, wipe off excess sometime later. This is very easy to refresh/renew this finish, even by the non-woodworking recipient of a gift cutting board.

Henry

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Good idea about the paraffin. Under the old OLD school, I was taught the only correct way to use BLO was to heat before you sopped it on. This was of course for things other than fine furniture (peavey handles, wagon tongues, etc). So, for the furniture type things I used to build, I put the BLO in a metal coffee can and heated it on a little hibachi I had from college. Worked fine and if you heat it, it "sets up" to make an imperviuos layer on the wood.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Guys.

Do NOT use mineral oil on any project that involves edible foods - in time it will go rancid. There is a salad bowl oil that should be used instead. You should find it at any finishing supply store.

Jim in Mayberry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
jmauldin said:
Guys.

Do NOT use mineral oil on any project that involves edible foods - in time it will go rancid. There is a salad bowl oil that should be used instead. You should find it at any finishing supply store.

Jim in Mayberry

Jim, I am sorry I would have to completely disagree with you. You might have been thinking of vegetable oil. Mineral oil will not go rancid, and is the major if not entire ingredient of "Salad Bowl Oil" they just won't tell you that because you can buy mineral oil at a drug store for a whole lot less.

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Interesting cutting board articles http://whatscookingamerica.net/CuttingBoards/AllAbout.htm

http://www.johnboos.com/support/block_care_instructions.cfm

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/faculty/pbird/keepingfit/ARTICLE/BOARDS.HTM

Before I started making a lot of cutting boards to give as gifts I did a lot of research into their safety. My wife is a paranoid biological researcher :roll: I have found wood cutting boards made out of the correct woods, and used exclusively for either meat or vegetables, and treated with a mineral, or walnut oil to be safer than most of the plastic ones available on the market. Plus they are so much nicer to look at :icon_thum

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
Daveo you said the correct kind of wood... What are the correct types of wood for cutting boards???

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The best type of wood for cutting boards are tight grained non-porous woods like Hard Maple, a poor choice would be Red Oak. I often use Walnut, Maple, Purpleheart, and Paduak. I have recently done an end grain board out of a mystery wood, we believe to be Teak, not sure how it will hold up, it hasn't been put to the test yet.

frankson

New User
Jeff
How about Lignum vitae (hardest, most dense wood in existience) which can be used as is? A local woodworker and buyer of lignum (once every couple of years, they purchase a tree in Jamaica) told me that he has had an all purpose board for 20+ years. He simply washes it off with hot, slightly soapy water and puts to the side...dries in minutes.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike Davis said:
So.....what is that? about a $600 cutting board? :lol:

That would be only $2.50 per month payments for the next 20+ years, but you'll never need another cutting board again :lol:

frankson

New User
Jeff
I've seen boards for around $35-40 (6-8") up to $200+ (18" x 2"+ thick) - I think. Pricey, yes but, safe (dense/non porous lignum dries so fast that bacteria is deprived of moisture).

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hmm, what about this: Texas lignumvitae (G. angustifolium )

IIRC a guy on Woodnet cited it as a nusiance bush, though I'm sure it's not very large. Also occasionally found in Florida :?::?::?::?:

Sapwood

frankson

New User
Jeff
Lignum - The wood was once used as propeller shaft bearings in nearly all the ships sailing the ‘Seven Seas’. Because of this, Lignum Vitae and Jamaica are closely associated in shipyards worldwide. It is a very heavy wood which will sink in water. Because of its toughness it is used for items such as mortars, mallets, pulleys and batons carried by policemen. Sometimes it is used for furniture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS