Horizontal router table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have not used one personally, but there is a member down your way that built one very similar to the MLCS version and it works well! (We did some picture frame molding on it about a year ago or so.)

Maybe worth a PM to Joe Scharle, here at NCWW.

HTH

Wayne

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I got to play around with one in their outlet store outside of Philadelphia. It seemed rickety with a 2.25 HP router mounted in it. I would want a bigger, heavier router and imagine it would be really unstable with more weight.

There are some copies of the Multi-Router circulating around the Net that may be a better option. Here's one:
http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot390.shtml

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Not too difficult to build.....and cheap!

DSC04074.JPG

View image in gallery

Feel free to stop by and have a chat.
Joe

T

toolferone

Here is a quick low-tech approach I built to solve a routing chipout issue I was having with some zebra wood.

box%20horz%20rtr%20tbl%202.jpg

box%20horz%20rtr%20tbl.jpg

emccollu

New User
Lige
I have one of the original Joint Matics which I purchased at the Furniture show in NC in 1984. It was developed and sold by a gentleman from MI. The plans you see are from a copy of this. Mine came with a Bosch Router and mounter on a stand. A really handy tool, when I remember that I still have it, there are lots of things it is great for. These plans today are from this tool. If you Google 'Joint Matic' you can get hits. This tool was originally sold by the Strong Tool Company of MI, and was sold to Shopsmith. After Shopsmith purchased the rights to make it they took it into their R&D department and added dust collection and removed one lead-screw and the synchronizing bicycle chain. After a few years this tool was retired. There is one important thing that you need to keep an eye out for if you are shopping for the Shopsmith version of this tool. Lige

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I have the MLCS unit. It's okay. It's pretty light duty but in my case it was quicker to buy than to find time to make one. Mine needed some work getting the plate shimmed so that the work piece wouldn't catch.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Thanks for all the input. Joe I would like to take a look at yours, looks very well designed and would do alot. With that being said I have found a ShopSmith Joint_Matic that I could get for arounf $140. Is this a good deal or would it be better to build my own either like Joe's or even the simpler design of toolforone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors